Chapter 27

Jason's POV

As I tucked my daughter into bed, the uncanny resemblance between the nanny and Aurora lingered in my mind, unsettling me with every step I took back to my room.

How could it be? The likeness between the nanny and my late wife was too profound to dismiss. "It can't just be a coincidence," I muttered to myself, my mind racing with possibilities.

Then, like a bolt of lightning, realization struck me. I vividly recalled the night I was shot, the chaos and confusion still etched in my memory. Amidst the haze, one image remained crystal clear: the fleeting glimpse of Amara—or so I thought. Now, as I pieced together the fragments of that fateful night, it became apparent that it wasn't my late wife I had seen, but rather this nanny.

That realization quickened my heartbeat, a surge of unfamiliar emotions flooding through me.

"The nanny saved my life... But why?" I questioned aloud, my mind spinning with conjectures. Was she now stalking me, or had she appeared seeking compensation for her heroic deed?

My thoughts raced, relentless and unforgiving, denying me even a moment to catch my breath.

"I don't like this," I muttered bitterly, resentment bubbling within me, especially at the striking resemblance she bore to Amara.

Sleep seemed impossible; her presence invaded my thoughts without my permission, leaving me restless and unsettled.

------

The morning arrived too quickly, my eyes still wide awake, fixated solely on the new nanny my father had hired.

"I have to talk to my father; he's bound to know more about this nanny," I muttered to myself, hastening through a shower and dressing.

Entering the dining area, Aurora bounded towards me, wrapping me in a tight embrace.

"Morning, Daddy," she greeted, planting a kiss on my cheek.

Aurora had been my guiding light since her mother's passing, the sole reason I found purpose in life.

"Good morning, my sunshine. Did you sleep well?" I asked, gently guiding her back to her chair.

"I did, but my morning wasn't that great, all thanks to the nanny," she replied with a hint of anger, her gaze sharply directed towards the nanny standing beside her.

Our eyes locked for a brief moment before she averted hers, her expression stern and unwavering.

I exhaled heavily, unable to rein in the tumult of emotions coursing through me. Seeing her was like glimpsing at Amara once more, stirring a storm within my heart that I struggled to contain.

"Anna, I'll eat in the study," I stated firmly, shifting my gaze to meet Anna's.

"But Daddy, we always have breakfast together," Aurora protested, her disappointment palpable.

"I know, my sunshine, but Daddy has a lot of work to do today," I explained, my tone gentle yet resolute. Deep down, I knew the real reason why I couldn't bear to dine at the table.

I entered the study hoping to see my father, but he wasn't there. Instead, Anna soon followed, carrying my breakfast.

"Have you seen my dad today?" I asked a hint of curiosity in my voice.

"No, but I'm sure he's out on the golf course," Anna replied, her tone cryptic. "You know how he loves to play before breakfast."

I nodded absentmindedly as I attempted to eat, but my appetite had vanished entirely.