Chapter 24

Emily's POV

"I'm so happy for you. You deserve all the happiness in the world," Layla gushed, her words filled with genuine joy and affection.

"I can't believe we have a wedding to plan! I was thinking of a spring wedding," Layla exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement at the prospect of helping me plan the big day.

"About that, we're not rushing into a wedding just yet. We want to take our time to make it perfect for both of us," I explained gently, noting the disappointment that flickered across Layla's face.

Her initial frown was quickly replaced by a warm smile as understanding dawned in her eyes. "Of course, I completely understand. Whenever you're ready, I'll be here to help you plan the most amazing wedding," Layla replied, her enthusiasm undiminished by the change in plans.

"Thank you," I murmured gratefully, pulling Layla into a tight hug.

As I pulled away, a knot formed in my stomach, knowing I still had to break the news about my leaving. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair, struggling to find the right words.

"Okay, there is something else on your mind," Layla observed, her intuition cutting through my hesitation.

"I'm leaving, Layla," I finally confessed, watching as her eyes widened in disbelief.

"What?" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with shock.

"I got a job at the Russo family's house as a nanny to their granddaughter. So, I'll be moving into their house," I explained, bracing myself for her reaction.

"A job? When did all this happen?" Layla inquired, her brow furrowing with concern.

"I previously applied for the job, and I just got the notice that I've been employed," I replied, feeling a pang of guilt for deceiving her.

"What about the bar, your performance, Chris? Have you told him yet?" Layla bombarded me with questions, her worry palpable.

"We all knew that singing at the bar was only a temporary arrangement until I found something that pays better, and now I do, so I think Chris would understand. I already sent him a text," I explained, hoping to alleviate Layla's concerns.

Layla fell silent for a moment, processing my words. Then, with a shaky smile, she spoke up again. "Damn girl, I'm going to miss you. So, tell me, when do you start?"

"I'm going to miss you too, but I'll always call you, okay? I start tomorrow," I assured her, my own emotions threatening to spill over as well.

"Isn't tomorrow so soon?" Layla asked, her voice tinged with surprise.

"Yeah, it is. That means I have to pack immediately," I replied, standing up and heading toward my room.

"I'll help you as well," Layla offered, following me into my room.

---

The next morning, I was jolted awake by the sound of Layla bursting into my room.

"We're having breakfast together, you, Danny, and I, even if it's for the last time," Layla declared with such authority that it left no room for protest.

I indulged Layla's insistence on breakfast as if it were the last supper, savouring every moment of friendship and warmth shared between us.

Noon arrived all too quickly, signalling it was time to head out.

"I will miss you," Layla's voice quivered with emotion as she enveloped me in a hug so tight, it felt like she was clinging to me with every ounce of strength she had like she was afraid to let me go.

"I will always call," I whispered, feeling the weight of our impending separation heavy on my heart. Layla nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"You'd better unless you want to feel my wrath," she replied, attempting to lighten the mood with a hint of playful threat.

I gently wiped the tears from her face, a bittersweet smile tugging at the corner "I have to go," I whispered, the weight of my deception heavy on my conscience with each passing moment.

Layla insisted on walking me out, but I refused, unable to bear the guilt of leading her any further into the web of lies I had spun.

With a heavy heart, I made my way out of the building, the shadows of doubt and regret trailing behind me like ghosts. As I stepped outside, a car, sent by Marco, awaited me, a silent reminder of the path I had chosen to embark upon.

"I am doing this for love," I murmured to myself, the words a whispered mantra that I repeated like a prayer, hoping against hope that they would somehow ease the turmoil within me. Each syllable carried the weight of my commitment, the depth of my devotion to Marco and the promise of a future together.

With every step I took toward the waiting car, I felt the heaviness of my decision settling upon me like a suffocating blanket. Doubts clawed at the edges of my resolve, whispering of the risks and sacrifices that I was making. But amidst the chaos of my thoughts, one truth remained unwavering: my love for Marco.

As I settled into the backseat of the car, I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath, steeling myself for the journey ahead. In the quiet solitude of the car, I allowed myself a moment of vulnerability, a moment to acknowledge the fear and uncertainty that gripped me.

So I cried.

With tears streaming down my cheeks, I allowed myself to release the floodgate of emotions pent up inside me. The weight of uncertainty, fear, and longing bore down on me like a crashing wave, threatening to engulf me in despair. But amid the chaos of my swirling emotions, I knew I had to cling to the belief that love would guide me through this and that every sacrifice made in its name would be worth it

And so, with a heart heavy with both longing and determination, I whispered those familiar words once more:

"I am doing this for love."