Chapter 18

Emily's POV

(2 months later)

It's been two months since I officially started dating Marco, and every step has been an absolute dream. I knew the shooting at the restaurant left room for concern, but Marco cleared everything up. Witnessing his unwavering effort to protect me only deepened my love for him.

With each passing day, my feelings for him deepen, like roots entwining in rich soil. Marco has effortlessly become the centre of my universe, filling every corner of my thoughts with his warmth and presence. It's as if he's unlocked a part of me that I never knew existed, igniting a passion that burns brighter with each shared moment. That's why I'm eagerly anticipating his return tonight after his week-long trip.

"What should I wear?" I ponder aloud, each outfit reflecting the emotions swirling within me. As I sift through my wardrobe, I can't shake the feeling that tonight will mark the beginning of something extraordinary, a new chapter in our story waiting to unfold.

"You're only this excited when you're going to see Marco. Is he finally back from his trip?" Layla walked into my room, her curiosity evident in her tone.

"You know me so well. Marco just came back, and we're having dinner together at his apartment. I just can't wait. I miss him so much," I replied, a smile spreading across my face at the mere thought of seeing him again.

"What about the bar? Aren't you supposed to be working today? You have a performance, remember?" Layla inquired, concern lacing her words.

"I called to cancel," I said casually, revealing a dress option to Layla, but she seemed uninterested.

"Are you sure it's right to cancel just because you want to see Marco? It seems unprofessional," Layla remarked, her concern evident in her tone. I could tell she was searching for any reason to dissuade me from seeing Marco tonight.

"Chris doesn't mind, so you shouldn't either. Now, take a look at this one. It's perfect," I said, showing her another dress option, hoping to redirect her attention away from my plans.

"Okay, fine. I know you're tired of hearing this, but I don't like Marco. Remember the shooting at the restaurant? Trouble seems to follow this man, and I worry for your safety," Layla finally voiced her concerns, and I felt a surge of frustration because we'd had this conversation countless times before.

"Layla, I love Marco. If you can't accept that, maybe it's best if I find my apartment," I retorted, my voice edged with anger.

"Relax, I don't want you to leave because of this. Fine, I won't bring it up again. You love him, and as your friend, I should support you," Layla said, moving closer to me.

"That's more like it. Thank you," I replied, pulling her into a hug.

"I hate when you fight. Now tell me, do you like this dress?" I asked, and she chuckled.

"It's terrible," she declared, and my mouth fell open in surprise.

"Really? I knew I should have gone shopping," I sighed.

"No worries, I think I have something you can wear," she said as she walked out, soon returning with a beautiful red dress.

"Remember, red is your colour," she remarked, handing it over to me.

"This is beautiful!" I exclaimed, excitement bubbling within me.

"Just get dressed," she rolled her eyes, leaving the room.

In no time, I was ready, and Marco's driver soon texted that he was waiting outside for me.

"Marco sent his driver to get me. Are you sure you'll be okay alone?" I asked as I entered the living room.

"Yeah, don't worry about me. Danny will soon be back from work, so I won't be alone," Layla assured me, and I nodded.

"That reminds me, have you found out what Danny does? His mysterious job seems kind of fishy, don't you think?" I inquired.

"Didn't you tell me not to think too much about it? Now you're the one asking questions. You know very well I don't have the answers," Layla retorted.

"I'm sure it's nothing, but I should go. I don't want to keep the driver waiting," I said hurriedly as I made my way out of the apartment.

---

"As the car glided through the streets, excitement bubbled within me as I couldn't wait to see Marco. I've never felt this way for anyone before, despite having been with people I thought I had strong feelings for. These newfound feelings were an entirely new experience for me, and I was savouring every moment of it."

"Finally, I arrived at Marco's apartment, urgency pulsing through me as I practically leapt from the car before the driver could open the door.

"Have a wonderful night, Ma," the driver called out as I darted into the building, my anticipation mounting with each step toward the elevator.

As the doors slid open, revealing Marco's apartment, my heart skipped a beat. Tears prickled at the corners of my eyes as I took in the scene: a path of rose petals strewn across the floor, beckoning me forward.

Suddenly, soft music filled the air, wrapping around me like a warm embrace as I continued to follow the trail of rose petals. Before I could fully comprehend what was happening, there he was—Marco, kneeling before a large sign that read:

"Will you marry me?"

Stunned, I stood frozen in disbelief. It all felt surreal until my eyes landed on the sparkling diamond ring in front of me.

"Marco... Babe, what's going on?" I managed to ask, my voice barely above a whisper. His smile was nervous, and I could see the anticipation and love shining in his eyes.

He stood up, closing the distance between us and enveloping me in his arms.

"I love you, Emily. Marry me," he declared, before sinking back down on one knee. Heat surged through my body, uncertainty swirling in my mind.

"After two months of dating, come on, Emily, think. You can't say yes to this man," the voices in my head screamed.

Deep down, I knew they were right. I had to ask.

"Aren't you rushing into this? It's only been two months," I voiced softly, meeting his gaze as he simply smiled.

"Two months is enough time to know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I love you, Emily, and all I want is you. But the question now is, do you love me enough to marry me?" he poured out his heart.

"I love you with all of my heart, Marco," I confessed, feeling overwhelmed with emotion.

"Then say yes, because I can't stay here on one knee forever," he urged with a grin.

As I gazed into his eyes, my mind clamored with warnings, urging me not to succumb to the moment, and to consider this monumental decision carefully. Yet, amidst the chaos of my thoughts, there was also the unwavering beat of my heart, fiercely loving him and yearning to intertwine our lives together for eternity.

Amid my inner conflict, torn between reason and love, I recognized that this was my deepest desire—true love, an unwavering connection. And despite the uncertainty and the voices of doubt, I knew deep down that I couldn't let it slip away. So, with a nod and a trembling voice filled with emotion, I surrendered to the overwhelming love I felt for him.

"Yes... I will marry you."