Chapter 53

Emily's POV

"Layla... Layla," I said, my voice laden with agitation.

"Hey Ems, are you okay? You don't sound good," Layla's voice on the other end brought me instant relief.

"I should be asking you that question. Are you okay, Layla?" I inquired.

"Ems, what's going on?" Her concern was palpable.

"I just need to know that you're okay," I insisted.

"Of course, I am," Layla reassured me.

"Have you noticed anything strange?" I pressed further.

"Strange? Ems, I feel scared. What's really going on? Because I'm fine," Layla replied, her voice tinged with worry.

"Good. That's all I want to hear. Just be careful, and always lock the door when you're home," I advised, cutting off any further protests from Layla.

"I'll fix this, I will keep you safe, I promise," I declared before ending the call.

As I hung up, a heavy sigh escaped me. Layla tried calling me back, but I refused to pick up.

Emotions threatened to overwhelm me, but I struggled to keep them at bay. I knew what I had to do, even though I despised every part of it. I had started all this thinking I was doing it for love, but now I realized I was wrong.

"So this is my cross to bear," I mused quietly.

------

"I thought it was going to be difficult to get information on the Russo's operations, but it proved surprisingly easy. With Jason being nice to me, no one dared to refuse me when I asked about anything.

"The Don's new obsession."That's what they all called me, and I detested it. I despised being labelled as his possession. Even the other staff harboured animosity towards me because of it. However, that very label was instrumental in obtaining the information I needed to keep Layla safe, and that was all that mattered.

Days flew by, each passing moment a reminder of the weight of my secrets. Marco, with his relentless persistence, seemed oblivious to the turmoil he caused. Each piece of information I handed over to him felt like a betrayal, yet my promise to keep my best friend safe was a fragile lifeline in this sea of deceit.

In the cool of the evening, a stranger walked up to us as I strolled through the garden with Aurora. She was a striking woman with blonde hair and big blue eyes, and she looked at me in disbelief.

"Oh my goodness, they weren't kidding about the resemblance," she exclaimed, reaching out to pet Aurora.

Startled, I pulled Aurora closer. "I'm sorry, but I don't believe we've met," I said cautiously, guarding Aurora from this unfamiliar woman.

"Aunt Hazel," Aurora piped up, "she's Uncle Lucas's wife."

Hazel's smile widened. "That's right. I'm Hazel. I haven't been here since Amara passed. She was my best friend. When they told me about you, I had to see for myself. You look so much like her."

"Who is Amara?" I asked, sensing Hazel's sudden tension at the mention of the name.

"I've gotten used to people telling me that I look like this Amara, but no one ever told me who she was... Did she work here as well?" I asked myself, shifting uncomfortably as Hazel's gaze bore deep into me.

Hazel's expression softened, tears welling up in her eyes. "You'll find out soon enough," she said cryptically, her voice filled with emotion.

Unsettled by her response, I extended my hand. "Nice to meet you, Hazel. I'm Emily, Aurora's nanny."