Chapter 7

Emily’s POV

"You were amazing," Layla exclaimed, rushing to me as soon as I finished my performance.

"You came? I'm glad. Thank you," I chuckled.

"Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world. You were amazing," Layla gushed, enveloping me in a hug.

"Thank you. We should get a drink," I suggested.

"Great idea, but we should wait for Danny. He went to get something from the car. He'll be back soon," Layla replied, her smile infectious.

Danny returned shortly, and we all headed to grab a drink.

"You did great. I told you there was nothing to worry about," Chris complimented as we took our seats.

"Thank you for giving her this job, Chris," Layla interjected.

"It was my pleasure," he smirked.

"When I heard her sing, I knew I couldn’t just let her go like that," Chris added, directing his attention to me with a smile.

"So, can I get that drink now?" I asked, eager to lighten the mood.

"Of course, and it's on the house," he replied, touching my hand, which didn't go unnoticed by Layla, who shot me a knowing smirk.

Brushing off her look, we started drinking, toasting to my first night performing here.

(*)

"He likes you, Emily. You know that, right?" Layla said, breaking the silence on our way back to the apartment.

"I don’t understand. Who likes me?" I asked, genuinely puzzled.

"Chris, of course. Don’t act like you haven't noticed the way he looks at you," she replied, prompting an eye roll from me.

"Trust me, he doesn’t like me. And even if he does, I'm not interested," I asserted, causing Layla to turn and scrutinize me.

"Why? Don’t tell me you're still hung up on Ethan," she prodded.

"Hell no, Ethan is bad news, and I'm done with him," I confirmed.

"So what's the problem?" she persisted.

"I've given up on love, Layla. I'm done getting hurt," I confessed, and her eyes softened with pity.

"Don’t say that. You can't give up on love. Love is a beautiful thing that everyone deserves to experience. That person who will show you the love you deserve is out there. I just know it. But you have to open your heart to receive love when it comes," she said, her hand offering comfort.

I allowed Layla’s words to linger in my mind, wrestling with the question of whether I was still worthy of the love she spoke of.

"No, I can't risk giving my heart up again to be broken. It's had its fair share of heartbreaks, so never again," I resolved silently as I fought back tears.

We arrived home quickly, and I rushed to my room before anyone could stop me, Layla's words still echoing in my head.

"Give love a chance, Emily," her voice echoed in my mind as I collapsed onto the bed.

"No... never again," I murmured to myself, drifting off to sleep without even changing out of my dress.