Chapter 47

Emily’s POV

My body seized, gripped by the weight of his words rolling out effortlessly from his lips, each syllable cutting through the air like a knife. His intense gaze held me captive as if daring me to look away. It was as though the atmosphere had constricted around us, leaving only his words echoing in the silence, each sending a shiver down my spine.

“No, he can’t be serious,” I muttered to myself, the disbelief clawing at my throat.

“Or is this his twisted game, a ploy to draw me out and kill me?” I whispered, my voice barely audible against the pounding of my heart. “Yes, it must be. This can’t be real. It’s just his sick game, a tool to mess with me.

“Say yes, Emily,” Jason’s voice was a soft murmur as he delicately tucked loose strands of hair behind my ear, his touch a silent torture.

I stood there, speechless, ensnared by the intensity of his gaze.

“Do you like the gift I sent you?” His words hung in the air, his eyes flickering between the roses and the dress.

“You sent these?” I managed to utter, my voice barely a whisper amidst the chaos of my thoughts.

“White roses are your favourite, aren’t they? And I’m sure the dress will look stunning on you,” he remarked, a gentle smile playing on his lips as he stepped back.

My heart raced as questions flooded my mind.

“Why? And how did you know white roses are my favourite?”

“Oh, shortcake, it’s for me to know and for you to simply enjoy,” he replied, his tone teasing as he leaned casually against the wall, his demeanour masking a mystery I longed to unravel.

To say I was baffled would be an understatement.

“What changed? Why was he suddenly being nice to me?” I screamed inwardly, my eyes locked on him, desperately seeking answers.

“So, what will it be, shortcake? Will you have dinner with me?” he asked again, his presence drawing nearer.

“I... I’m not sure,” I stammered, feeling lost and overwhelmed by his sudden shift in demeanour.

“A simple yes will do, because I won’t accept no as an answer,” he insisted firmly, his gaze unwavering.

“I can’t. I’m working, and Aurora... she needs me. And you... you hate me,” I protested, my voice trembling with uncertainty.

“Hate is a strong word, shortcake. And regarding work, I’m your boss, remember? I make the rules, and tonight, I say you’ll have dinner with me. I’ll arrange for Anna to look after Aurora,” he stated with a sly grin, his confidence unsettling.

“But...” I attempted to argue, only to be interrupted by Jason’s unwavering resolve.

“Remember what I said, shortcake. I won’t take no for an answer. So, get ready. I’ll be waiting downstairs for you,” he commanded, handing me the red dress before leaving the room.

Gazing at the dress, time seemed to stand still, caught in the weight of the moment. I struggled to make sense of it all. ''Dinner with Jason Russo?'' It felt like dancing with the devil himself, a dangerous temptation I couldn’t afford.

"I think you should go. If not for anything else, just to get back at Marco for being an arse," the voices in my head whispered, their words dripping with a vindictive edge.

Thinking about it, I knew they were right. The notion of turning the tables on Marco, and reclaiming some semblance of power in the face of his callousness, resonated deeply with me. It was a chance to assert myself, to refuse to be defined by what he wants.

So with a determined resolve, I began to get ready. I applied light makeup, accentuating my features, and styled my hair into deep curls. Slipping into the red dress, I couldn't deny its stunning allure. It hugged my curves in all the right places, exuding a confidence I hadn't felt in a long time.

Finally ready, I stood before the mirror, nerves fluttering like trapped birds in my chest. With a deep breath, I steeled myself for what lay ahead.

“Let’s do this,” I whispered fiercely to my reflection, a mantra to bolster my resolve.

Before leaving the room, I pressed a tender kiss to Aurora’s forehead, silently promising to return soon.

As I descended the stairs, each step felt like a descent into uncertainty, the weight of anticipation bearing down on me. Nervous energy crackled in the air, wrapping around me like a suffocating cloak. I couldn’t shake the sensation of walking into a trap, like a lamb led to the slaughter, my heart pounding in time with the sinister rhythm of my footsteps.

My gaze soon landed on Jason. He stood at the end of the stairs, a mysterious expression veiling his features. His eyes held a depth I couldn’t quite decipher, a mixture of familiarity and something else, something I couldn’t quite place. With each step closer, the tension in the air thickened, wrapping around us like an invisible thread, drawing me inexorably toward him.

Slowly, I made my way to him, his hand outstretched in silent invitation. Reluctantly, I accepted, allowing him to guide me down the stairs.

As I reached him, he wasted no time, pulling me into his embrace with a suddenness that caught me off guard. His hand wrapped around my waist, drawing me close, his breath warm against my neck.

Stilled with nerves and apprehension, a desperate plea echoed in my mind, begging my body not to betray me, not to succumb to the allure of the enemy’s touch.

“I knew this dress would look good on you,” he whispered with a compelling smirk, his words laced with a confidence that left me speechless.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t find my voice, and couldn’t muster the courage to respond. His presence enveloped me, rendering me powerless against his magnetic charm.

“We should get going. I don’t want us to miss our reservation,” he said, his grip firm as he guided me out of the house.

I slid into the car, his presence beside me sending a shiver down my spine. As we were soon on our way, the weight of the situation pressed down on me like a heavy cloak. It all felt surreal like I was living in a twisted dream. Who would have thought that I, of all people, would find myself in this situation? Heading to dinner with Jason Russo, a dangerous man, who had made it his mission to torment me at every turn.

But yet beneath the fear lurked a strange sense of curiosity, a desire to uncover the truth behind his sudden change in demeanour.

The car ride was cloaked in silence, Jason’s gaze fixed intently on his phone screen, lost in his world. With a sigh, I turned my attention to the window, where the world outside rushed by in a blur of colours and shapes. Each passing moment felt like a heartbeat, pulsing with the rhythm of the road. As I counted the houses and faces flickering past.

Soon, I felt the car come to a stop, prompting me to turn my attention to Jason.

“We’re here,” he announced, opening the car door and extending a hand to help me out. I hesitated for a moment before accepting his gesture, the weight of uncertainty heavy in the air.

As I stepped out onto the pavement, my heart skipped a beat. Standing before me was the very same restaurant where Marco and I had shared our first date.