Chapter 33

Emily's POV

My heart pounded against my chest, trapped between Jason's piercing gaze, Lucas's intense scrutiny, and the radiant smile of Aurora. How was I going to explain yet another visit to Jason's study?

In the suffocating silence, desperation clouded my thoughts, leaving me grasping for an escape. And then, without a second thought, I acted on impulse.

Falling to the floor, I feigned unconsciousness, hoping desperately that my impulsive decision would buy me some time. As I lay there, pretending to be out cold, a silent prayer escaped my lips, pleading for divine intervention to extricate me from this mess.

Strong arms hoisted me up, and I was gently deposited onto a nearby chair. Should I risk opening my eyes? The uncertainty gnawed at me as I hesitated, uncertain of what awaited me if I dared to peek.

A sharp whiff of alcohol invaded my senses, signalling their attempts to revive me. With cautious reluctance, I cracked my eyelids open, straining to maintain the illusion of unconsciousness as I surveyed the scene before me.

Lucas and Jason stood nearby, their expressions a mix of suspicion and concern, while Aurora wore a worried frown. Jason's arms were crossed over his chest in his characteristic interrogative pose, a sight that sent a shiver down my spine.

"Why did you faint?" Jason's voice pierced the tense atmosphere, demanding an explanation for my sudden collapse.

Before I could muster a response, Aurora intervened, coming to my defence. "She's sick, Dad," she interjected, her voice tinged with urgency and sincerity. Her timely intervention provided a glimmer of relief amidst the chaos of my impromptu performance.

Aurora's persistence and concern were both heartening and unnerving. Her reminders about the hospital and her readiness to accompany me painted a convincing picture, but Jason's suspicion remained evident in his gaze.

However, to my surprise, Jason relented. "Okay, the driver will take you to the hospital," he conceded, and relief flooded through me, mirrored by Aurora's grateful smile.

"Thank you, Dad. Emily and I will get going now," Aurora said, her little hand reaching out to help me up from the chair.

But Jason's next words halted our departure. "No, sweetheart, you are not going anywhere. I'm sure Emily can take care of herself," he asserted, his tone final.

Aurora protested, her frustration evident. "No... How do you expect me to leave her all by herself, she is sick!" she exclaimed, her voice laced with concern.

"Emily is here to take care of you, not the other way around. I'm sure she can take care of herself," Jason countered, unmoved by Aurora's pleas.

I intervened, attempting to diffuse the tension. "I'm sure your dad is right. I'll be just fine, and like I said, it might be a little cold," I reassured Aurora, though my heart ached at the thought of her distress.

Aurora grumbled in frustration, her eyes brimming with tears as she turned and ran towards her room. The weight of the situation settled over me as I watched her go.

"Jason, I can take her. There's no need for the driver," Lucas offered, his voice filled with sincerity and concern but Jason shook his head

"No, she can handle herself. Can't she?" he asked with his gaze trailing on me, and I nodded, trying to hide my nerves.

"Good. The driver is waiting," Jason said, leading Lucas back into the study.

As the door closed, relief washed over me, but so did fear.

"I can't stay here. They're onto me. I'll be dead if I don't leave," I muttered to myself.

"But how will you leave without them knowing?" the voices in my head questioned.

"This hospital visit is my chance to escape for good."

Rushing to my room, I packed a small bag, trying to avoid suspicion. When I was ready, I hurried to the car.

"To the hospital, please," I told the driver, and we sped away from the Russo's Mansion.

-----

As I arrived at the hospital, I instructed the driver to wait in the car for me. However, his response caught me off guard.

"I'm sorry, ma," he began, "but the boss told me never to leave your side."

My heart sank at his words. It seemed that my attempt to slip away unnoticed was not going to be as easy as I had hoped. With a frustrated groan, I realized that I would need to come up with another plan if I wanted to escape undetected.

"Okay, you can come, but you keep your distance," I instructed the driver, hoping to buy myself some space to think and plan my next move.

We made our way into the hospital together, with the driver obediently keeping his distance as I headed to my doctor's appointment. With every step, my mind raced, searching for a way to escape without raising suspicion.

Feeling a knot of frustration forming in my stomach, I entered the doctor's office with the driver trailing closely behind me, ignoring the nurses' warnings for him to stay outside.

My mind raced with thoughts of how to handle this unexpected situation.

After finishing my appointment with the doctor, the driver ushered me out of the room, his presence a constant reminder of the obstacle standing in the way of my escape.

As we walked through the corridors of the hospital, I racked my brain, searching for a solution to my predicament. How could I possibly slip away unnoticed with the driver so diligently watching my every move?

Suddenly, an idea began to form in my mind, a risky but potentially effective plan to outsmart the driver and make my getaway. With a renewed sense of determination, I resolved to put my plan into action as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

"I want to go to the restroom. You have to wait here; I'll be a while," I said to the driver, my voice steady despite the nerves fluttering in my stomach. As I started walking towards the restroom, I could sense the driver's instinct to follow, but I quickly halted his movements.

"Do you want to follow me into the restroom? What would the boss say when I tell him that you wanted to see what you shouldn't?" I challenged, hoping to instil enough fear to dissuade him from accompanying me any further.

The driver visibly hesitated, his expression shifting from confusion to apprehension. After a moment of tense silence, he relented. "Fine, but do not be long," he conceded, nodding in agreement.

With a sense of triumph and relief, I continued on my way to the restroom, my heart pounding with anticipation. This was my chance to break free from the watchful gaze of the driver and make my escape.

As I approached the restroom, a sudden jolt of panic shot through me as I felt a strong hand grip my arm and pull me into a nearby darkened room. My heart pounded furiously in my chest as fear washed over me, realizing that I had fallen into a trap. Could this be the end? Had the Russo family finally caught up with me?
In the dim light of the room, I struggled against my captor, my mind racing with desperate thoughts of escape. But the grip on my arm was unyielding, and I found myself powerless against the unseen assailant.

With each passing moment, the darkness seemed to close in around me, suffocating me with the weight of uncertainty and fear.

As the light flickered on, casting an eerie glow across the room, I stood frozen, a cold shiver racing down my spine. Before me stood my captor, and as their features came into focus, disbelief washed over me—I couldn't believe who I was seeing.