Chapter 12

Emily's POV

(Six months after the stranger's disappearance)

Time had slipped away, marking six months since the enigmatic stranger I saved vanished from my life. His memory lingered like a haunting melody, a perplexing puzzle I couldn’t solve. How could he disappear so abruptly, without even a hint of gratitude for the one who saved him? Leaving behind unanswered questions and a heart heavy with unresolved curiosity?

"How could he just disappear like that?" I often found myself wondering aloud.

But dwelling on him only brought more questions than answers. He had made his choice, a choice that left me grappling with a sense of emptiness. Yet, despite my longing to understand, I refused to let him continue to hold sway over my thoughts. I had to force myself to move on, bury the memories and focus on the present.

To find solace, I immersed myself in my work at the bar. Each performance became an escape, a way to lose myself in the music and momentarily forget my troubles. The stage became my sanctuary, shielding me from the memories of the wounded stranger.

With every show, my reputation as a performer grew, attracting larger crowds. Their applause became a fleeting validation, a brief respite from the thoughts of the mystery surrounding the stranger's disappearance. But even as I basked in their admiration, the pain of the past lingered, a reminder that the stage could only offer temporary relief.

"This place is buzzing tonight! You've outdone yourself, Emily," Chris exclaimed, his eyes sparkling with pride.

"I'm nervous," I confessed, a knot of apprehension tightening in my chest. "I've never sung to such a big crowd before."

"You were born to be up there, Emily. Your voice has the power to move mountains," Chris reassured me, his words a comforting embrace amid my uncertainty.

"Do you really think so?" I asked, searching his eyes for reassurance.
"Absolutely. And if you ever need a reminder, just look out into the crowd. You'll see nothing but love and admiration," he said, his smile unwavering.

"But if you need a boost, just look at me. I'll be right here, A familiar face always helps,” he suggested, nudging me gently.

Chris's unwavering faith in me bolstered my confidence, providing the strength I needed to face the spotlight.

“I’m ready,” I declared, swallowing hard and glancing at the crowd once more.

“Here, drink this,” Chris said, handing me a shot of tequila.

“What’s this?” I asked in shock.
“Liquid courage,” he whispered, smirking mischievously.

“Who are you, and what have you done with Chris?” I teased, surprised by his gesture.

“It’s good to bend the rules a bit,” he smirked, winking at me.

Chuckling, I downed the shot, seeking another reassuring look from Chris.

“You’ve got this, my star,” he whispered, kissing me suddenly.

I froze, blinking in shock, unsure of how to react. Chris quickly pulled away, coughing nervously.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me,” he apologized.

Baffled, I struggled to find words, nodding faintly.

“It’s okay. Maybe we were just overwhelmed with emotion,” I replied, the awkwardness settling between us.

With my lips still unable to form coherent words, I swiftly made my way to the stage.

As the music swelled and the lights dimmed, I lost myself in the rhythm, allowing the melodies to carry me away. With each note, I poured my heart into the music.

The crowd cheered and applauded as I sang my last set, bidding goodnight to my audience.

But as the final chords faded into silence, the memory of Chris's unexpected kiss lingered like a bittersweet echo, and I dreaded returning to the bar.

Knowing I couldn’t evade the inevitable, I reluctantly made my way back to Chris, the weight of our shared moment hanging heavy in the air.

"Your 'liquid courage' definitely did the trick," I joked, trying to diffuse the tension as I took my seat across from him.

"No way, It was all you," Chris replied, his gaze softening with an intensity that made me pause, wondering what lay beneath.

A shiver of anticipation ran down my spine as I met his gaze, the air between us crackling with unspoken words.

"I should leave before things get too complicated," I thought, feeling the familiar ache of uncertainty gnawing at my insides.

But before I could act, Chris’s hand reached out, gently stopping me in my tracks.

"We need to talk, Emily," he said softly, his voice tinged with urgency.
“What do we need to talk about, Chris?” I asked, my heart racing with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

“Not here. Let’s go to that table over there,” he suggested, his tone sounding so nervous.

Uncertain of what awaited me, I followed him to a secluded corner of the bar, the weight of his words heavy in the air like a storm brewing on the horizon.

"Emily," Chris began, his voice trembling with emotion as he searched for the right words.
"If this is about the kiss, it's okay. We can pretend like it never happened," I interjected, desperate to avoid the inevitable conversation.

But Chris took a deep breath, his gaze unwavering as he met my eyes with a depth that left me breathless.

“It wasn’t a mistake,” he confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. “I’ve wanted to kiss you for so long, Emily.”
My heart quickened at his admission, a rush of emotion flooding through me, mingling with the uncertainty that had settled deep within my bones.

"Chris..." I trailed off, my voice barely a whisper as I struggled to process the weight of his words.

"Please, Emily, just hear me out," he pleaded, his hand reaching out to gently brush against my cheek.
"I like you. No, I'm in love with you," he continued, his voice thick with emotion, each word carrying the weight of a truth too long suppressed.

''I have always been since the day you walked into the bar. You’re everything I want and need. I know you’ve been hurt before,” he continued, taking my hands in his.

“Layla told me everything,” he added softly.

“I know you’ve been hurt before, and I understand if you’re scared,” he said softly. “But I promise you, Emily, I would never do anything to hurt you. I just want to be there for you, to show you how much you mean to me.”

Caught off guard by the depth of his feelings, I searched for the right words, feeling the tension between us thickening with each passing moment.

"I...I..." I stammered, my voice faltering as I struggled to find the courage to speak my truth.
But before I could find the words, a familiar voice cut through the tension, bringing my world to a standstill.