Chapter 20

Emily's POV

With trembling anticipation, Marco soon walked back to me, enveloping me in his protective embrace.

"It's nothing," his voice, a soothing whisper, reassured me, though I couldn't help but search his eyes for confirmation.

"I didn't know you were such a big baby," he teased, a playful grin tugging at his lips. Surprisingly, I found myself chuckling, the tension of the moment easing away.

"No, I'm not," I replied, mustering my courage. "The sound just startled me a bit."

"Whatever you say, my love. You can be as scared as you want because I'll always be here to keep you safe," Marco murmured, pressing a gentle kiss against my lips.

In no time, we descended to the parking lot and set off on our journey, but my mind raced with uncertainty.

Would Marco's family accept me?

Minutes later, we arrived at a sprawling compound, guarded by armed men. The sight startled me; why would a simple man require such security, unless...?

Before I could voice my questions, the car halted, and Marco guided me out, his touch grounding me.

"Welcome to my childhood home," he announced, and a shiver of excitement mingled with nervousness raced down my spine. Marco was opening up a part of himself to me, and I was eager to explore it.

"Are you sure they're going to like me?" I asked, my voice tinged with doubt, as we approached the imposing mansion.

"Darling, they'll adore you. Just wait and see," Marco reassured me, his eyes full of conviction as he led me through the door.

As we stepped inside, we were greeted by the elegant maids, and the air was filled with an undeniable sense of luxury and refinement.

"It's breathtaking," I murmured, unable to tear my eyes away from the lavish surroundings.

"My father has always had a taste for the finer things," Marco explained with a hint of pride, gesturing toward the opulent décor.

Lost in the splendour, my attention was suddenly captured by the arrival of a vivacious teenage girl, who flung herself into Marco's arms with infectious enthusiasm.

"You've been gone forever, big brother!" she exclaimed, her laughter filling the room.

"I've had to work, Kenna," Marco replied with a faint smile, gently disentangling himself from her embrace.

"Or should I say, playing the obedient son as usual," she teased, her eyes dancing mischievously. Marco's expression tightened briefly before he introduced me to his sister.

"Emily, meet Kenna. Kenna, this is Emily," he said, his voice warm with affection.

Kenna's eyes widened in recognition, a knowing grin spreading across her face.

"So, you're the one who's captured Marco's heart," she observed with a playful wink, making me blush despite myself.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kenna," I replied, extending my hand.

But Kenna ignored the gesture, pulling me into a spontaneous hug instead.

"You're even more beautiful in person! No wonder Marco's head over heels for you," she exclaimed, her enthusiasm contagious.

Then, her gaze fell on the ring on my finger, and her eyes lit up with excitement.

"Marco, you proposed!" she exclaimed, her excitement palpable as she inspected the ring.