Chapter 31

Jason's POV

A surge of rage thundered through my veins. What in the world was she doing here? This was no place for her, and the mishandling of her by one of my men ignited a wildfire within me.

"I'll take her out of here, Jason," Lucas offered, but I sharply cut him off.

"No, I'll handle her myself," I growled, my anger crackling like electricity as I marched toward Emily.

She trembled with fear, but I wasted no time. Without a moment's hesitation, I scooped her up and threw her over my shoulder.

She fought back, kicking and screaming for release, but I remained steadfast. If she wanted to be a thorn in my side, I'd treat her as such.

"Put me down!" she screamed, her voice now laced with an unexpected fierceness.

"I am not joking, let me go!" she continued to yell, but I remained indifferent as I carried her to her room.

Arriving at her room, I tossed her onto the bed and crossed my arms, watching as she struggled to regain composure.

"What is wrong with you? Why did you handle me like that? Don't you think it was inappropriate? You're my boss!" she shouted, rising to her feet.

"No, I'm not your boss," I countered sharply, leaning in closer. "You've made it abundantly clear you weren't hired by me. And if I were your boss, believe me, you wouldn't last a day here."

"Why do you hate me so much?" she yelled, frustration etched across her face, but I advanced, unyielding.

"What were you doing, lurking around my meeting like that?" My tone softened, but the intensity in my eyes remained.

Her demeanour shifted instantly, and she squared her shoulders, meeting my gaze with all the confidence she could muster.

"I already apologized. I got lost," she stated, and I couldn't suppress a laugh.

"You can't seem to resist being the centre of attention, can you? Tell me, did you enjoy it?" I chuckled, and she looked at me, puzzled.

"I don't understand. I've already apologized, and I swear it won't happen again," she pleaded.

"Answer me!" I roared, gripping her arm tightly. "Did you enjoy it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. Let me go!" she exclaimed, trying to free herself from my grasp.

"Did you enjoy having one of my men touch you the way he did? I don't want a loose woman near my daughter," I uttered, the words slipping out before I could fully comprehend them.

Before I could retract my words, she swung her free hand and struck me across the face. The force of the blow caught me off guard, leaving a stinging sensation in its wake.

"How dare you! How dare you question my integrity!" she exclaimed, her eyes blazing with anger. "You have no right to say those words to me." Her voice trembled with a mixture of fury and hurt, her emotions palpable in the charged air between us.

The atmosphere crackled with intensity, tears welled up in her eyes. I couldn't shake off the weight of my own words, unable to comprehend why I had lashed out at her. Yet, in that charged moment, I realized I was in too deep. Anger had become a shield, a barrier I couldn't afford to lower.

So I seized her by the throat, a rush of dominance surging through me as I drew her closer. But in that electrifying moment, a dangerous desire for her stirred within me, ignited by her closeness. It was then, with her in my grasp, that I felt the irresistible temptation to heed my father's counsel, to claim her completely, right then and there.

"Control yourself, Jason, she is not Amara," I screamed to myself, the reminder echoing in my mind like a thunderous warning.

Pressing my lips to her ear, I whispered with intensity, "You are lucky my daughter likes you because no one hits me and lives to tell the story."

With a decisive shove, I pushed her back onto the bed, my steps firm as I made my way to the door. But before I could leave, I turned back and delivered a final warning.

"Remember your place, little nanny. Unless you'll regret it."

"I hate you. You deserve everything that's coming to you. I should have let you die when I had the chance!" Her words thundered through the room, each syllable striking me like a blow to the chest, leaving me paralyzed with the weight of her venomous rage.

Without a word, I turned and left, the weight of her words heavy on my heart.

I returned to the meeting, but I found it impossible to focus. Emily's words echoed in my mind like a relentless refrain.

"Does she truly hate me so intensely that she wishes she hadn't saved me? And what does she mean by 'I deserve everything that is coming to me'?" I repeated the questions to myself incessantly, each iteration only deepening the sense of unease gnawing at my core.

"You haven't given her a reason not to hate you, so you can't blame her," the voices in my head whispered accusingly, their words echoing with uncomfortable truth.

"Nonsense. She can hate as much as she wants," I muttered to myself, inadvertently drawing the attention of the men in the room. With a curt nod, I signalled for them to continue with the meeting, but inwardly, my mind remained consumed by thoughts of Emily.

Nevertheless, I swiftly banished those thoughts, refusing to grant her any control over me.

----

(The next day)

After yesterday's ordeal, I doubled down on avoiding Emily, sticking to my usual routine. The study became my haven, where I sought refuge from the turmoil that lingered after our confrontation.

I was engrossed in my work, eagerly awaiting news about our shipment, when Lucas burst in with a concerned look on his face. Knowing Lucas, his demeanour only shifted like this when something was amiss.

"Out with it, Lucas. What's wrong? Is it the shipment?" I demanded, my tone edged with urgency. Lucas nodded slowly, and instantly, I felt a surge of agitation.

"What happened? It was supposed to be a clean offload, nothing was supposed to go wrong," I exclaimed, my voice rising with frustration.

"I know. I don't know how it happened. Nobody was supposed to know, but I guess someone snitched. Now it's all gone. They took everything, nothing's left," Lucas explained solemnly.

"Who did this? Who dares go against me like this?" I yelled, my anger boiling over.

"The Marinos," Lucas answered, his voice heavy with a sense of foreboding.

The mention of the Marinos ignited a fierce rage within me. My fists clenched, and a cold determination settled over me like a shroud. They had dared to challenge me, to undermine my authority. This affront would not go unpunished. With a steely resolve, I vowed to make them pay, to ensure that they would regret ever crossing me.