Chapter 51

Jason's POV

I watched Emily approach our table, her usual demeanour replaced by an uncharacteristic nervousness. My heart clenched at the sight of her red and puffy eyes, as though she had been crying for hours. Concern flooded through me as I noticed a dark bruise marring the delicate skin around her neck, despite her attempts to conceal it with makeup.

"You took quite a while in the restroom," I remarked, my voice soft with worry, my gaze fixed on her. But as she drew closer, my concern deepened. Who could have done this to her? Anger simmered beneath the surface, my fists clenching at my sides.

"Emily," I murmured, gently touching her arm. "Are you okay? Who did that to you?" My voice was barely above a whisper, filled with concern.

Emily didn't respond, her gaze fixed on some distant point as she sat down heavily. With trembling hands, she poured herself a glass, downing its contents in one gulp. The room fell into a deafening silence as she poured another, her actions speaking volumes of her inner turmoil.

"Yes, I will stay," she whispered, her voice barely audible, tears glistening in her eyes. The sound of the glass hitting the table echoed like a cry for help.

My heart ached as I watched her struggle, her pain palpable in the air. I wanted to reach out, to offer comfort and solace, but I felt paralyzed, unsure of how to ease her burden.

"Who could have hurt her so deeply?" I wondered, my anger boiling beneath the surface. One name echoed in my mind like a thunderclap.

"Marco Marino!"

"Emily, please," I implored, my voice trembling with emotion. "What happened in that bathroom? Why are you like this? I can help you, you know that, right?" But before I could finish, she erupted.

"I don't know anything anymore! I just feel suffocated by everything, so just take me back to the house!" Her words pierced the air like shards of glass, her voice raw with emotion. As she rose to leave, Helena showed up out of nowhere, and before any of us could react, she emptied the remaining bottle of champagne over Emily's head. The bubbly liquid cascaded down, drenching her in a shimmering waterfall.

"Helena, what is wrong with you?!" I yelled, disbelief and anger lacing my voice as I quickly rushed to Emily's side.

"That's what she gets for trying to steal my man. She should thank her stars it's just alcohol. Next time it might as well be something lethal," Helena spat, her words dripping with venom.

Pure fury coursed through me, but I pushed it aside, focusing on Emily. She was all that mattered in this moment.

"I'm sorry about this," I whispered to Emily, my heart breaking for her.

"Who is she?!" Emily's voice rang out, filled with confusion and betrayal.

"She's no one, and I'm sorry for this," I replied, trying to soothe her agitation.

"Oh, quite the contrary. I'm his fiancée, and you're not supposed to be on a date with him. Didn't anyone teach you not to snoop around someone else's man?" Helena sneered, moving closer to Emily in an attempt to intimidate her. But before she could get any closer, I stepped between them, shielding Emily from her venomous words.

"Enough, Helena! Why are you even here? Why are you back?" I yelled, frustration boiling over.

"I'm here for you! We're supposed to be getting married. Why are you being like this? Is it because of her?" Helena's voice trembled with a mix of anger and hurt.

"She has nothing to do with this," I insisted, turning to Emily. But she wasn't by my side anymore. When I scanned the room, my heart sank as I saw her running for the door.