Chapter 19

Emily's POV

After our unforgettable night, sleep felt like a distant dream. I lay beside him, gazing at his captivating face, still unable to believe I'd said yes to Marco's proposal. It felt surreal. After enduring countless heartaches, finding my happily ever after felt like a miracle. If someone had predicted this love story, I would've laughed. Yet, here I am, feeling like I've hit life's jackpot.

Emotions surged within me, demanding release. I knew I had to share this overwhelming joy—I had to tell my best friend. So, quietly, I reached for my phone and slipped out of the room, careful not to disturb Marco.

"It's 3 am, Emily. What's up? Shouldn't you be enjoying your time with Prince Charming? Why are you calling me?" Layla groggily answered after several rings.

I hesitated, unsure of how to break the news. "Should I just blurt it out, or should I soften the blow?" I pondered to myself.

"Emily, did you call me just to stay silent? I need my beauty sleep. Goodnight, girl," Layla started to say, but before she could hang up, I blurted out, "Marco asked me to marry him, and I said yes."

"What?" Layla screamed, her voice still thick with sleep.

"Yes, he asked me, and I said yes! I'm getting married, girl. It's like the universe decided to shine its luck upon me," I exclaimed, my heart swelling with joy.

"No... No, Emily, I don't understand..." Layla trailed off. "You know what? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear any of this. I'll go back to sleep, and I'll call you in the morning. Maybe then I'll understand what you're saying. Marriage... no, it can't be possible," Layla said before abruptly ending the call.

"So much for sharing my joy with my best friend," I muttered to myself as I walked back into the room.

I slid into bed, and Marco immediately wrapped his arms around me. Soon, I heard him whisper, "I could really get used to this."

---

I groaned, blinking away the sun rays from my eyes when I was suddenly woken up by the sound of my phone ringing. I sluggishly looked over at my phone with sleepy eyes, and it was Layla calling.

I knew exactly why she was calling, so the question now was if I had the strength to listen to her lectures at this moment.

"Tell me I was dreaming last night, tell me you didn't call me last night to tell me that you said yes to a guy you've been dating for barely two months, Emily," Layla's voice came through the phone as soon as I reluctantly picked up.

"No, you weren't dreaming. Marco asked me to marry him, and I said yes," I replied, my gaze drifting to the ring on my finger.

To my surprise, instead of launching into a lecture, Layla simply asked, "Are you happy?"

"Yes, more than I ever imagined. I know it might seem like we're rushing into this, but my love for him is undeniable. I'm ready to take this leap of faith," I replied, my voice filled with conviction.

"Then that's all that matters. Looks like we've got a wedding to plan," Layla said, her excitement palpable. I couldn't believe how cool she was with this.

"Wow... no lecture? Aren't you going to tell me that this isn't right, and I was doing the wrong thing by accepting to marry Marco?" I blurted out, feeling a twinge of uncertainty.

"Trust me, I had a whole speech ready to go, prepared to shake some sense into you. But seeing that you are happy, feeling your excitement—it's contagious. If this is what you want, who am I to stop you from what makes you happy?" she replied, her tone filled with a mix of amusement and genuine affection.

"Thank you, you have no idea how much this means to me," I said, my voice trembling with emotion.

"I can tell you want to cry, Em. But hold those tears back because if you start, I'll be a mess too," Layla said, her tone gentle yet firm, conveying both empathy and strength.

---

I wanted to say something when Marco walked in, a tray of food in his hand and a smile lighting up his face, sending my heart into a frenzy.

"I love you, Layla. Bye," I said hurriedly, cutting off the phone before turning my full attention to Marco.

"Morning, beautiful," he whispered, his lips grazing mine softly.

"Hi... Good morning, love. So, what do you have there?" I asked, my eyes drawn to the tray of food.

"I made breakfast for my queen," he declared, placing the food before me with a warmth that mirrored the love in his eyes.

"You shouldn't have," I said with a smile, intrigued by his unexpected gesture.

"But I wanted to," he insisted, his expression hinting at something more beneath the surface.

As I took a bite, the flavours danced on my palate, each one a delightful surprise. "You made this?" I asked, surprised by his culinary skills.

"Well, I tried to. Let's just say it was a disaster. Thankfully, the chef saved the day," he confessed, a sheepish grin on his face.

"Even so, the effort means the world to me. Thank you," I said, savouring each bite as I basked in his affection.

"I want you to meet my father and sister," he said out of the blue, and I felt a sudden knot form in my stomach as if my whole world had shifted at that moment.

"Don't give me that look. You're going to be my wife, and I want you to meet my family," he smiled, his touch as soft as his words, sweeping aside loose strands of hair. At that moment, the air crackled with anticipation, as if every brush of his fingertips carried the weight of our shared future.

Nervously, I nodded, my smile unable to fully mask the whirlwind of emotions churning within me.

"I would love to. When are we going?" I forced myself to ask, my heart pounding with both apprehension and excitement.

"Right now, so eat up," he replied, his eyes ablaze with anticipation.

As we prepared to leave, a loud crash sounded from the hallway, startling me. Marco, however, seemed unmoved, but his grip tightened on my hand, his eyes flashing with a mixture of alarm and determination.

"Stay here," he urged, his voice low and urgent, before disappearing into the hallway. With my heart racing, I strained to catch any clue of what had caused the disturbance, feeling a wave of worry wash over me as I waited in suspense for his return.