Chapter 40

Emily's POV

A shiver of fear raced down my spine as I watched Jason stride out of the room, leaving behind an unsettling aura of uncertainty and dread.

"What in the hell is happening? Why am I back here?" I yelled inwardly, my mind swirling with confusion.

But then, like a thunderbolt, Jason's words echoed in my mind, disbelief crashing over me like a tidal wave.

"No, it can't be true. Marco wouldn't do this to me. How could he drug me and bring me back here?" I whispered, tears streaming down my face, the betrayal cutting deeper than any physical wound.

"There has to be a reason for this madness. Marco loves me; he couldn't possibly do this to me," I muttered, shaking my head in disbelief as I fought to rise from the bed.

"I won't remain trapped in Jason's bed, feeling like helpless prey awaiting its demise. I need to find a way out of here," I resolved, determination igniting within me like a flame in the darkness.

Despite the pain coursing through my body and the relentless dizziness threatening to overwhelm me, I pushed forward, determined to reach the front door. Each step felt like a battle against invisible forces pulling me back, but I refused to surrender. With every ounce of strength I could muster, I pressed on, my sole focus on escaping.

As I reached the front door, I was abruptly halted by one of Jason's men.

"Miss Hart, you cannot leave," the man declared firmly.

"Why the hell not? Am I being held against my will here?" I shouted, trying to push past him with all my might.

"It's an order from Don Jason, I'm sorry. You cannot leave," the man explained, his tone apologetic yet resolute.

"Don Jason isn't my boss; his father is. If I want to leave, he can't stop me!" I yelled defiantly, my frustration boiling over.

"It's an order from the boss, and I can't go against it. Please, Miss Hart, go back inside. I don't want to resort to physical force because the boss will have my head for it," the man pleaded, his tone tinged with genuine concern.

I wanted to protest, but then I heard Aurora's joyful voice calling out to me.

As I turned to meet her gaze, I saw her with her grandfather, but before I could say anything, she rushed into my arms, embracing me tightly.

"I thought you left me, just like my mom. I thought something bad had happened to you," she whispered, tears welling in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, my little Koala. I never meant to scare you. I'm back now," I murmured, my heart aching with the knowledge that sooner or later, I would have to leave her again.

"I noticed there was some tension with the guard," Jason's father remarked, his gaze penetrating.

My heart raced as I swallowed nervously, unsure of what to say.

"She tried to leave, but Don Jason gave strict orders not to let her go," the guard chimed in, stealing my chance to explain.

"Are you really leaving?" Aurora's voice quivered with sadness, her eyes pleading for reassurance.

Her innocent gaze pierced through me like a dagger, and I found myself at a loss for words.

"I'm sorry, my little Koala," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the weight of the moment, before turning to face her grandfather.

"I resign, Mr. Russo," I declared, summoning every ounce of courage within me.

"Emily, please don't leave," Aurora pleaded, tears streaming down her cheeks. I tried to reassure her, but before I could, Mr. Russo's unexpected laughter filled the room.

"I'm sorry, my dear. You don't work for me, so I can't accept your resignation," he said, his tone light yet firm.

Confusion clouded my mind. "But you hired me, Mr. Russo," I reminded him.

"I'm aware of that, but my son has requested to take over your employment. He's the one who paid your last salary, so you're under his jurisdiction now," he explained, dropping a bombshell that left me reeling.

I was rendered speechless, the weight of the revelation pressing down on me like a heavy burden.

"So if you wish to leave, you'll have to wait for my son's return. He alone can accept or reject your resignation," Mr. Russo concluded, walking away and leaving me standing there, bewildered, with Aurora by my side.

---

Time seemed to slip away swiftly, and before I knew it, three days had passed since I found myself back in this house. My strength was returning, yet the haunting memory of the event that brought me back here lingered relentlessly in my mind. I dialed Marco's number repeatedly, desperate for an explanation, but each call went unanswered. The silence only deepened my sense of betrayal and confusion.

"What the hell have I gotten myself into?" I screamed inwardly, frustration and fear clawing at my mind.

But amidst the turmoil, one constant remained: Aurora. She was the anchor in the storm, the only thing that eased my constant fear of being trapped in this house.

Jason, however, hasn't set foot in his own home since he stormed out of the room three days ago. His absence was a blessing. A blessing because with every moment he was away, it was a moment I could breathe freely, knowing he suspects my involvement with Marco.

I decided to push those taunting thoughts from my mind and refocus on Aurora.

We were in the living room, though I couldn't fathom why Aurora insisted on staying here.

"Aurora, we should go for a walk in the garden," I suggested, but she shook her head.

"No, Emily, I'm waiting here for my Dad. He told me he was coming today," she answered. The mention of Jason's name made my stomach twist into a knot, a sharp pang of anxiety shooting through me. I breathed out heavily, trying to calm myself, but the uncertainty of Jason's return weighed heavily on my mind.

Nervously, I began counting down the minutes until Jason's return, feeling as though each passing moment brought me closer to my inevitable end.

Hours went by, tension mounting with each passing minute until the front door suddenly burst open. Lucas stormed in, dragging Jason who was covered in blood along with him.