Chapter 43

Emily's POV

I stood there in silence, torn between breaking the stillness with my voice or nervously remaining where I was.

His words cut through the tension like a knife, leaving me feeling exposed and uncertain. With a sinking feeling in my chest, I summoned up the courage and dropped my resignation letter in front of him.

He lifted his eyes to look at me, his gaze inscrutable. After a moment of silence, he finally spoke.

"What is this?" he asked, his tone betraying a hint of curiosity tinged with something I couldn't quite decipher.

"My resignation letter," I replied, my voice steady despite the nervous flutter in my chest. "I don't want to work here anymore. I tried to leave, but your father said you're the only one who can authorize that. I wanted to give it to you sooner, but I wanted you to heal first from your injuries."

He remained silent, his gaze piercing into me like a dagger, his expression unreadable. The weight of his scrutiny only added to the tension in the room, leaving me feeling exposed and vulnerable.

"I will be leaving tomorrow," I added, hoping for some kind of reaction from him. However, he remained silent, his intent gaze unwavering, intensifying the unease that already hung thick in the air. His silence only served to heighten the tension, leaving me feeling even more unsettled than before.

"That will be all. Goodnight, Mr. Russo," I stated firmly, my voice carrying a hint of resolve as I turned to leave, determined to assert my decision.

Yet, before I could take another step, I felt the familiar grip of Jason's arms pulling me back. Confusion and uncertainty flooded my senses, but beneath it all, a steely determination rose within me. I refused to allow myself to be intimidated, so I quickly pulled myself away from him.

"You cannot intimidate me like you always do, Mr. Russo. I have made up my mind," I asserted, attempting to leave once more.

But as I reached for the door, it was slammed shut, and before I could react, Jason swung me around, backing me against the wall. The sudden force left me breathless, my heart pounding in my chest as I stared into his intense gaze, a tumultuous mix of emotions swirling between us.

Slowly, Jason brought his lips to my ear, his breath warm against my skin as he whispered, "Mr. Russo is my father. I am Don Jason to you."

His words sent a shiver down my spine, the weight of his authority hanging heavy in the air. At that moment, everything became clear - the power dynamics, the unspoken rules. I was reminded of the dangerous world I had stepped into.

"I just want to leave. I came here to work, not to be a prisoner to your family," I gasped out, my words tinged with desperation, my heart hammering against my ribs as if it might burst out of my chest at any moment.

Jason fell silent, yet the intensity of his gaze spoke volumes, conveying more than any words ever could. Slowly, he reached out, his hand caressing my face with a gentleness that ignited a fire within me without warning. Every touch felt like a delicate dance across my skin, tracing every curve and contour with an intoxicating tenderness. Though I knew I should push him away, my body seemed to betray me, refusing to obey my rational thoughts. His fingers trailed down to my exposed arm, leaving a scorching imprint with each stroke. As his hand encircled my waist, pulling me closer, his touch felt like a spell, weaving its way through my senses and clouding my thoughts.

I fought against the rising tide of desire, the conflicting emotions swirling within me threatening to consume my resolve. Yet, with each heartbeat, the undeniable pull drawing us together grew stronger, a magnetic force that had been present ever since I met him.

With our lips mere inches apart, I shivered in anticipation, uncertain of what lay ahead. Yet, one thing was clear: whatever awaited me held consequences.

Then, in a heartbeat, he withdrew, leaving me reeling, struggling to find my footing in the wake of his departure.

Then his words sliced through the air, each syllable heavy with implication. "Did you read the contract you signed?" The question hung between us, laden with a weight I hadn't anticipated, plunging me into a whirlwind of confusion. My eyes instinctively sought out the document resting on his table, its familiar presence sending a shiver down my spine.

I remembered Anna giving me a similar document a few days ago, and I signed it without even reading it because she told me it was standard procedure and every staff at the house had to sign it.

"It's obvious you didn't read it," he remarked, his voice carrying a blend of amusement and exasperation. "Because if you had, you would have known that you can't simply walk away within your first six months here. If you do, you'd be required to repay every single bonus bestowed upon you. And l am sure, my family doesn't skimp on the bonuses given to you." His words hung in the air, a subtle but undeniable warning of the consequences awaiting my ignorance.

"I signed this only a few days ago, and I didn't ask for these bonuses," I countered, defiance lacing my words like a sharp blade.

"But they were given to you, and you didn't reject them," he retorted, his voice firm and unwavering, cutting through the tension like a steely resolve.

"So, if you want to leave, you're free to do so. However, you are to repay the Russo family three hundred thousand dollars," he declared, his words like a thunderclap, echoing through the room and freezing me in place.

"Where do you expect me to get that kind of money? That's even more than the bonuses they gave me!" I exploded, my frustration boiling over.

"If you want to leave, that is what you have to do. If you do not have the money, you can stay and work it out, but do not expect any salary, as your salary will be used to pay your debt," he said, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips, relishing in my predicament.

The surge of anger within me burned hotter with each passing moment. It was clear to me now: Jason was deliberately backing me into a corner, testing my resolve. But I wouldn't succumb to his games, not this time.

With unwavering determination, I straightened my posture, the fire of defiance blazing in my eyes. I refused to be cowed by his intimidation tactics.

"I will get you the money," I declared, my voice cutting through the tense atmosphere like a sharp blade. It was a promise to myself as much as it was a challenge to him. I had to get myself out of here, no matter the cost.