Chapter 37

Jason's POV

With a heavy heart, I finally managed to soothe my daughter to sleep, so as I tiptoed out of her room, I made my way through the silent corridors of the mansion, my footsteps echoing in the stillness of the night. With each step, my mind raced with thoughts of Emily.

As I reached the living room, I half-expected to find Lucas waiting for me with news, but the room was empty, the only sound the soft ticking of the grandfather clock in the corner. With a sigh, I sank into the nearest chair, exhaustion weighing heavily on my shoulders as I waited for any sign of Lucas’s return.

Finally, Lucas walked into the room with his signature look of concern etched on his face.

“What happened, Lucas? Where is she?” I asked, my voice tinged with a mixture of desperation and worry.

“I don’t know, Jason. We didn’t find her,” Lucas replied, his words landing like a heavy blow to my chest. The weight of his answer threatened to crush me, but I forced myself to remain composed, to hide the overwhelming turmoil that churned within me.

"What about the driver? I am sure you’ve found him," I uttered, my voice edged with urgency.

"He’s dead, Jason," Lucas replied solemnly.

The words struck me like a bolt of lightning, electrifying the air around us. My mind raced, grappling with the sudden weight of the revelation.

“Dead?” The word hung heavy in the air, tasting bitter on my tongue. “But how... How did it happen?”

Lucas’s gaze faltered, a sadness passing over his features. “We found him in his car, not far from the hospital.” His voice trailed off, leaving the ominous silence to fill in the gaps in our understanding.

“Fuck!” I cursed out, anger and uncertainty churning within me like a tempest.

"What the hell is going on?" I exclaimed, frustration boiling beneath the surface.

"I don’t know, but I have a feeling Emily holds all the answers. We need to find her," Lucas asserted, his voice steady despite the uncertainty swirling around us.

"You are right. Do whatever you can to find her," I commanded, my voice resonating with a commanding authority. “Turn the whole city upside down if you have to. I want Emily found and brought back here to me.”

"Whatever you say, I’ll try my best," Lucas said, his commitment evident in his tone.

He was about to leave when one of my men ran into the room.

“Don... Don,” he gasped, his words tumbling out in a frantic rush.

I shifted my attention to him, prepared to brush him off; my patience was wearing thin. “What is it?” I demanded, my voice sharp with impatience.

The man fought to catch his breath before finally managing to speak. “We... we found something,” he stammered, his words interrupted by gasps for air. “There’s something you need to see, Don.”

As we reached the front gate, my heart stopped at the sight that greeted me. Emily lay unconscious on the ground, her form bathed in the dim glow of the moonlight. The air seemed to thicken around me, suffused with a sense of dread and foreboding.

For a moment, time stood still as I stared at her motionless figure, a surge of déjà vu washing over me. The memories of Amara’s lifeless body, left for me to find similarly, flooded my mind, sending a shiver down my spine.

“No...” I whispered, the word barely audible as it escaped my lips. The echoes of the past reverberated through me, igniting a flame of fear and anger that burned within me.