Chapter 29

Jason's POV

The tyres of my car crunched against the gravel as I pulled into the driveway. My heart sank as I caught sight of Aurora and her nanny strolling out of the house, their smiles radiant under the afternoon sun. It was a scene straight out of a nightmare, a cruel twist of fate that plunged me back into memories I had fought so hard to bury.

Looking at them it felt like déjà vu in its cruellest form, a relentless onslaught of pain and regret that threatened to consume me whole.

And then there was Emily, an ever-present spectre of my failure. Her presence was a bitter pill to swallow, a relentless reminder of my inability to protect Amara, the only woman I had ever loved. I seethed with resentment towards her. Yet, even amidst my turmoil, I couldn't deny the captivating beauty that emanated from her.

I stepped out of the car, and without hesitation, Aurora darted towards me, her arms outstretched. I scooped her up into my embrace, but my thoughts remained fixated on Emily. With deliberate steps, I approached her, my mind wrestling with conflicting emotions.

Trust me, I had every word planned out in my mind, but the moment I laid eyes on her, my thoughts scattered like leaves in the wind. It was as if her gaze held a power over me, leaving me speechless and lost in her presence. I had to struggle fiercely to shake off the enchantment she had cast upon me.

"I shouldn't be feeling anything else, but anger towards her," I screamed internally, battling the conflicting emotions raging within me.

"Haven't I told you to stay away from my daughter?" My words sliced through the tension, tinged with frustration and a desperate attempt to reign in the tempest raging within me.

"Dad," Aurora's voice trembled, her features crumbling under the weight of my admonition.

"I like Emily, don't shout at her," Aurora's words landed heavily, each syllable echoing with sincerity.

As Emily reached out to touch Aurora, my instinctive reaction was to pull them apart, my grip firm as I sought to shield my daughter from her.

Emily's expression shifted from concern to frustration, her clenched fist betraying her struggle for composure.

"You don't have to be an arse," Emily's voice cut through the tension, her tone unwavering. "I'm just trying to do my job as best I can, Don Jason. So, It would be really nice if you didn't try to make my life as miserable as yours!" Her words lingered in the air, a potent blend of defiance and unwavering determination.

"I've told you countless times—I don't want you here," I declared, my voice carrying the weight of my frustration and resolve.

"I don't want you in this house, let alone taking care of my daughter. Go inside, pack your things, and leave right now," I reiterated, each word punctuated with firm determination.

Emily's gaze bore into me, not just with anger, but with a look that I found myself despising at my core. It was a piercing stare, tinged with a sinister depth, an unsettling aura of pure, unadulterated hatred.

"I'm sorry, Don Jason, but I am not going anywhere," Emily declared, her voice firm despite the tumultuous atmosphere.

"You didn't employ me, your father did, so unless he says he doesn't want me here anymore, I am staying," she asserted, her eyes challenging me to do my worst.

Before I could respond, Aurora wrenched herself from my grasp and fled inside, tears streaming down her face. Emily followed her swiftly, leaving me standing there, grappling with a sense of frustration.