Chapter 11

Jason's POV

I sat within the darkness, enveloped by its solace, hoping to find relief or perhaps even a glimpse of the love of my life once again.

But who was I kidding?

Amara would never dwell in darkness; she was all light, the kindest soul I knew. Every day, I questioned what she saw in me, and what made her love me the way she did. I longed to be with her again, but I knew deep down that it was an impossible dream. My darkness had consumed me, leaving no room for her light to shine through. The pain of losing her only intensified this reality.

So all I could do was beg the darkness for even a fleeting glimpse of her in the light. Maybe then, I could finally find peace.

It seemed as though the darkness heard my silent plea, granting me that elusive glimpse. But something was different this time. Amara appeared before me, yet her presence was altered. Her eyes, once filled with love and familiarity, now held fear and uncertainty.

I reached out to hold onto her image, but the darkness cruelly pulled me back into its embrace.

"Amara," I called out, my voice muffled by the void.

As memories of Amara's fear flooded my mind, the solace of the darkness transformed into unbearable torment. All I wanted was to return to her.

"I couldn't bear to lose her again," I murmured to myself, desperation tainting my thoughts.

Summoning all my strength, I fought against the darkness's grip, struggling to reach Amara once more.

"Amara!" I cried out, weakness overtaking my body as I finally opened my eyes to the light.

"Amara... Amara," I repeated incessantly, only to realize that the face I had seen was nothing but an illusion.

Amara was gone, and no amount of yearning or desperation could change that reality.

Exhaling deeply, resentment for my circumstances engulfed me, until a sudden pain jolted me back to the present. It was then that I remembered—I had been shot.

Scanning my surroundings, I found myself in what appeared to be a hospital room, a sense of unease settling within me.

"How did I get here?" I questioned solemnly, attempting to rise from the bed, only to be betrayed by my own body.

"I wouldn't advise moving," a blonde-haired girl entered, her voice carrying a note of concern.

"I need to leave," I insisted, my voice faltering.

"You're in no condition to do so," she countered gently.

"It's not a request, it's an order. Do you know who I am?" I demanded, struggling to assert my authority.

"As your nurse, I can't allow you to leave. You nearly died," she replied matter-of-factly, further fueling my frustration.

"Girl..." I began to protest, but my strength failed me once more, leaving me unable to articulate my thoughts.

"You see, you need rest. And besides, your wife will be back soon," the nurse informed me before exiting the room.

" My Wife?" I muttered incredulously.

"Yes, your wife. She was here with you all night. In fact, I'll go and let her know you're awake. I'm sure she'll be relieved," the nurse’s words echoed in my mind, leaving me grappling with disbelief.

"I don't have a wife. My wife is dead," I whispered, the truth of my words sinking in.

"Nonsense, you do have a wife. She was here with you all night," the nurse added before leaving me to my bewildered thoughts.

Determined to uncover the truth, I removed the wires attached to my arm and, despite my weakened state, mustered the strength to leave the hospital bed.

Disguising myself in a cleaner's clothes to conceal my identity, I embarked on a slow, arduous journey back home

---

Taking a cab, I was soon on my way back home.

Arriving home, I was met with concern from Helena, the woman my father wished me to marry, although I loathed her existence.

"What happened to you?" she exclaimed, reaching out to assist me.

"I'm fine, keep your hands off me," I snapped, pushing her away.

"I was only trying to help," she retorted, rolling her eyes before walking off.

Soon, Luca, my best friend and right-hand man, rushed to my side.

"Jason, I feared something had happened to you. I sent men to search for you," he said, guiding me into the house.

He settled me into a chair, his face etched with worry.

"I'll fetch the doctor; you're in bad shape," he whispered, turning to leave, but I stopped him with my voice.

"It was an ambush. The Marino family tried to kill me. They would have succeeded, but someone saved me. I'm afraid to say it was Amara," I admitted faintly, my words weighed down by the gravity of the situation.

"Jason, Amara is dead," Luca countered, his voice tinged with concern as he moved closer to me.

"I know, but I swear, I saw her, if only for a fleeting moment," I persisted, battling against the fever raging inside me.

"Jason..." Luca started, his concern palpable in his voice.

"You're not well. I'll fetch the doctor," Luca said softly.

"I'm not making this up. I saw her," I insisted, frustration mounting as he doubted me. I tried to stand once more, only to be thwarted by my weakened body, crumbling to the ground and surrendering once again to the consuming darkness.

---

Amara's face loomed in the darkness, flooding me with unbearable anguish. As I drifted back to consciousness, the weight of despair settled upon me like a suffocating blanket, and I grappled with a brutal truth.

I knew Amara was gone, lost to me forever. Yet, can you blame me for desperately clinging to a sliver of hope, yearning to see her once more, to feel her presence, even if only for a fleeting moment?

But as her image flickered before me, a chilling realization crept in: who was the woman donning the guise of my late wife? Was she real, or merely a cruel trick of my tortured mind?

Doubt and confusion gnawed at me, tearing open wounds I thought had long since healed. Each heartbeat echoed with the agony of uncertainty, plunging me deeper into the abyss of despair.