Chapter 16

Emily's POV

I couldn't tear my gaze away from the dress in the box, the fabric shimmering under the soft light of my bar. Time stretched into an uneasy eternity as I pushed aside the unsettling thoughts creeping into my mind.

"This is all Layla's fault," I muttered to myself, laying blame on her for the whirlwind of meaningless thoughts swirling in my head, even as my eagerness to see Marco again intensified.

Hurrying through my singing performance, adrenaline surged through me as I swiftly got dressed, impatience palpable as I awaited Marco's arrival.

Throughout the encounter, Chris couldn't seem to tear his gaze away from me. His eyes betrayed a mix of sadness and pain, evidence of the hurt he was concealing from my rejection, and seeing him like this broke my heart.

"But I can't change how I feel; I cannot compel my heart to have feelings it doesn't possess for him."

Suppressing the guilt gnawing at me, I waited for Marco.

Soon, an unfamiliar man in a black suit approached me.

"Mr. Marino is here for you," he announced, eliciting an involuntary smile from me.

"Lead the way," I purred, rising to my feet and following the man out of the bar.

Outside, Marco stood by his car, holding a bouquet of white roses and wearing a smile that set my heart racing.

"You look stunning. The dress suits you," he whispered, pulling me into an assertive embrace, and claiming my lips with urgency.

I was grateful for his embrace because the intensity of his kiss threatened to weaken my knees.

As he pulled away, leaving me breathless, I fought to steady myself.

"These are for you," he said, handing me the bouquet with a tender smile.

"You never fail to amaze me," I breathed out, his smile deepening as he opened the passenger door for me.

"I told you, you were in for the time of your life," he whispered seductively, his voice dripping with allure as he secured me into the seat.

I fought to maintain my composure, anticipation swirling within me as we set off on a journey to a destination known only to him.

---

The car came to a stop, and I peered out the window to find myself at a restaurant named "La Casa Balino."

"The best restaurant in town, perfect for our first date," Marco declared, stepping out of the car and extending a hand to help me.

Men clad in black emerged from another car, surrounding the restaurant. Two of them accompanied Marco and me inside.

"Who are these men?" I inquired, but he simply smiled, drawing me closer.

"Nothing for you to worry about, my darling," he reassured, his hand warm against mine as he guided me through the restaurant.

"Your table," the waiter announced, leading us to a secluded area.

"I'll inform the chef of your arrival, as you requested," he hurriedly added before darting off.

The chef emerged, offering a humble greeting to Marco.

"Is everything prepared as I requested?" Marco inquired, and the chef nodded nervously.

"Good, then bring it out for us, along with your finest wine," Marco commanded, and the chef hastily departed.

"Marco... I can't help but notice everyone seems so intimidated by you." I finally voiced the question weighing on my mind.

"Darling, it's not intimidation, it's respect, and that's the power money can wield," he replied, gently clasping my hands.