Chapter 8 - Confrontation

Previously...

Cruel stared at Deon with conflicted feelings. This man reminded him of his brother however his brother did not act like that at all. His brother is weak and was born with an illness, this man acts like he has infinite lives.

***

"I was going to kill you in one shot."

"R-really now? Cough-"

Deon replied nonchalantly ignoring his current condition. He wondered if he revealed that he was Deon would Cruel go easy on him or would he immediately kill him due to him being a traitor in his eyes?

"...I'd really love to fight right now since things got interesting but... I'm getting a little bored though.. It'd be nice to fight with you but I don't have as much time anymore."

Deon needed to find the 'abilities' that the God of Death said he'd send over to him as well as find out more about the Duke Illistor and his plans.

"...Why are you attacking us?"

Cruel needed to know the reason behind the sudden attack from the demon troops led by the Zeorth Corps Commander. There has to be a reason to invade and then retreat. There's no way anyone would do all of that and just retreat right off the bat.

"Because I wanted to see what this hero was about? I was just curious."

"..."

"I have some feedback for you though, take it as a grain of salt or not. It's up to you. But I gotta go soon!"

"..Spit it out..."

Cruel wasn't sure why but he felt like the Zeroth Corps Commander held no animosity against him or the Empire. It was like he did not care what was going on between the two realms.

"...How do I put this? Don't save him, he can't nor does he want to be saved. No, it's more like... saving him would be useless if you know who I'm talking about."

"You-"

How did the Zeroth Corps Commander know about his brother? What happened to his brother? What did he mean by 'don't save him he doesn't want it'?

Of course Deon sincerely meant everything he had said. He doesn't need saving or protection from family members if they're going to sacrifice themselves for him, he would never allow such an outcome to happen.

Even if it meant he'd have to die in their stead, it was much better than them dying for him.

"Okay I gotta go now, that's it for today!"

Deon quickly walked away from Cruel, leaving a bitter taste in Cruel's mouth. Although Cruel had no idea why he felt so bitter after hearing those words come out from the Zeroth Corps Commander he stood there silently as he watched the demon troops retreat.

"..We will retreat as well..."

Cruel walked back to his troops as they retreated to their base as well. Since they both achieved what they originally wanted it should be fine right? But he still couldn't shake off the bitter feeling from the words of the white haired commander even after they had retreated to their base.

'What a waste to back down like this. This would be the perfect opportunity to push forward with the enemy troops demoralized from the amount of death tolls on their side. However there is always a reason behind Sir Arut's decisions.'

Jaykar stood there watching Deon walk back to them slightly disappointed. But it wasn't that much of a loss either.

Well it should be fine since the demon troops aren't dissatisfied with the results either. They were able to protect their land even if they lost a bit of the Human Realms land.