Chapter 40: A Lurking Shadow

It's Sunday, March 17, 2019. Gabriel has been attached to my chest like another limb as he's been breastfeeding around the clock. Jaxon holds him any chance he can get and allowed my mom to hold him a few times. I'm surprised by this as I thought Jaxon would never let Gabriel go. My heart grows warm at the thought of last night and the sweet sight of Jaxon holding Gabriel. I feel bad that I had to take Gabriel away from him at all for breastfeeding. If I could, I would let Jaxon hold him as much as he needed without interruption and be content. I know how much Gabriel means to him.
Gabriel has just finished breastfeeding for the 3rd time this morning. "He's all yours, Jaxon." I offer Gabriel to him.
Jaxon jumps to his feet and is at my bedside in seconds. He kisses me gratefully. "Thank you, my beautiful wife. For giving me our beautiful son."
"Of course, my handsome husband," I wink at him. "Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you. He's as beautiful as he is because of you."
Jaxon chuckles. "No my dear, he gets his looks from you." He winks back and kisses me again.
Jaxon envelopes Gabriel into his arms and gently lays him across his shoulder, belly first. He begins patting his back as he rocks him around.
"You're getting pretty good at burping him," I smile. "You're already a professional Dad."
Jaxon laughs. "Thanks, Charlotte. You're not a bad mom, yourself," he winks.
"Well, I'm off to the bathroom again." I shift to get out of bed.
"Do you need help? I can give Gabriel to your mom."
"No, I got this."
I clamber out of bed and waddle towards the bathroom. As I'm doing so, a flash of red and blue catches my eye from outside the window. There's a cop car parked on the side of the street with its lights flashing.
Hm. That's odd. I wonder what they're doing.
They're here for you, my better judgment taunts.
No, they couldn't be.
I brush it off and go to the bathroom.
I shut the bathroom door on my way out and waddle back towards the bed. I can't help myself from checking if the cop car is still there and my stomach churns with dread.
There's 3 cop cars now.
Attempting to remain calm, I walk over to my bed, grab the bedside pager and push the red button. "Dr. Reed, could I get your assistance please?"
Jaxon stops burping Gabriel abruptly. "What's wrong, Charlotte?"
The other side of the pager is silent. "Dr. Reed?" I ask again.
"Charlotte, what's going on?"
I glance out the window and my heart sinks beneath the earth and until the realm of hell.
Dr. Reed is in handcuffs, being escorted to one of the cop cars by 2 policemen. She turns to peer at our window with sorrowful eyes.
Oh no.
With a loud bang, our door flies open and slams into the wall.
"Don't hurt them, please!" my mom shrieks in panic.
2 policemen storm the room with their guns drawn. They set their eyes on Jaxon and pursue him and the baby.
"Don't touch them!" I scream.
"You're under arrest!" 1 policeman shouts. "Grab the baby," he directs the other.
Jaxon is rooted to the floor in fear, protectively holding Gabriel against his chest. "Please, no," he begs. "He's my son."
The other policeman reaches out his hand. "Hand over the baby. You're under arrest."
"Please," Jaxon chokes. "Don't take him from me. He's my son."
"Follow orders!" the policeman's voice is like ice.
"But he's my son," Jaxon begins to hyperventilate. "You - can't - take - my - son."
"HAND OVER THE BABY NOW," the policeman booms.
Jaxon shoots me a helpless plea with his tormented ebony eyes.
"Let me take him," I offer with shaky hands. "Just don't hurt them."
"Quickly," the policeman snaps.
I rush to Jaxon's side and offer my hands out to take Gabriel. He gently places Gabriel in my arms, but before he lets go, he gives him one last kiss. He then peers up at me. "I love you, Charlotte. And I love our son. Please, remember that." He kisses me one last time as well.
"I SAID QUICKLY," the policeman breaks our kiss.
Gabriel is now in my arms and the policemen handcuff Jaxon in seconds. They drag him out of the room and he glances back to look at me and Gabriel one last time, the deepest remorse fogging over his eyes.
I'm sobbing uncontrollably as I clutch Gabriel against my chest.
My better judgment was right...

Days pass by without Jaxon. I do all that I can to care for Gabriel without him. My mom moved in with me to help as much as she can. My heart has crawled back into her coffin and nailed it shut.
I feel dead inside.