Chapter 8: Prada

About 40 minutes later, we pull into a parking space at Prada in New York City, New York and Jaxon kills the engine. I've thoroughly enjoyed every second of those 40 minutes in which I gratefully clung to Jaxon's body the entire time. Now that we've stopped, I can't seem to let go. Jaxon attempts to move, but is restrained by my enveloping arms. He clears his throat. "If you want to continue holding me, we can go someplace private..."

My skin ignites and I release him in an instant.

He chuckles. "I thought that might do the trick." I clamber off the bike in shame and Jaxon jumps after me to snatch my hand. "I'm just teasing you, Charlotte. Don't run away..."

"I wasn't."

He grins. "Okay."

We stroll toward the entrance, hand in hand and the massively lucrative store appears extremely formidable. I've never been to Prada, but it reeks of the highest expense.

Holy crap, am I right!

Upon entering the glittering doors, I'm greeted by a whopping price tag that demands $1,770 for a skimpy, silver dress.

That amount of money could pay for my rent...

"Let's get you a uniform first. Then we can look for other stuff like clothes, shoes, accessories... and let's not forget lingerie..." Jaxon winks at me playfully and I blush scarlet.

Oh, heck no!

I scurry to a wall of women's suits in attempt to escape his fiery gaze and he follows close behind.

"You want a suit for a uniform?" he asks.

"Yeah. What did you think I was gonna wear? A dress?"

"Well, yeah..."

"I can't kick butt in a dress, Jaxon."

He laughs. "Fair point."

"Besides, you all wear a suit. And I wanna fit in..." I trail off, thinking of the argument I witnessed earlier.

Jaxon senses this and his eyes are apologetic now. "I'm sorry about earlier, Charlotte. They'll warm up to you. Just give it some time."

"I don't know, Jaxon... Maybe joining isn't the best idea after all... Maybe I should le-"

"Nonsense," he stops me before I can finish. "I want you here. Don't worry about them." He smiles. "Now, let's get you a uniform."

He really doesn't want me to leave... And I don't want to leave either...

"Okay." I smile back.

We both begin browsing through the selection of suits. After a few minutes, a black suit with a jacket cinched at the waist catches my eye. I take a look at the price tag.

$4,550???

Holy crap!

How could you spend that much on squares of fabric??