Chapter 14: Forbidden

Despite my lack of sleep, my body wakes on its own at 7:00 AM. It's Monday, June 11, 2018. Fernando will be outside my room to drive me to Kirkland Town at 8:00. I jump out of bed with purpose.

I've gotta carry out my plan and quick.

Deep in the night, a master plan formed inside my brain and I'm ready to put it to the test.

I make my way to the bathroom, take a 5 minute shower, blow dry and loosely curl my hair, brush my teeth and apply some light make up; taking extra time to load on several coats of strawberry flavored chapstick.

I then sift through my closet for an outfit to wear, finally deciding on a cap-sleeved, scarlet red dress that falls just above my knees in a flowing A-line. It perfectly accentuates my figure with a cinched waist and heart-shaped neck. Finishing off the ensemble with a pair of black pumps, I scuttle back into the bathroom to spritz Prada Candy Gloss perfume all over my body.

There. That should do it.

With my shoulders squared in determination, I venture out of my room and strut toward the west wall. It's then that my wounded and bandaged heart begins spinning in progressive circles on the spot. Faster and faster with every clank of my heels against the marble.

I circle around the staircase and lose myself inside that narrow length of black matter; that limitless and enticing blackhole. I'm trapped in its unforgiving forcefield and this time, I know there's no turning back.

I follow the labyrinth of connecting hallways, turning down corner after corner toward my destination. My heart is rotating faster and faster with every step forward, producing more and more heat from the friction.

My better judgement finally exits her bedroom to get in on the commotion. She narrows her reprimanding eyes. What are you doing, Charlotte...?

I ignore her.

Despite my heart wreaking havoc inside me as her orbits become more and more violent and sparks begin flying out from under her, I manage to remain cool and collected on the outside.

I can do this.

Finally, I turn down a massive and vacant hallway that's a dead end. There's only one way to go from here. Toward the towering, black door.

Jaxon's bedroom.

I sure hope he's awake. He seems like the early rising type...

As my eyes zone in on that towering, black door, the cogs in my better judgement's brain go into a full revolving spin and her voice strains with panic. Charlotte! What are you doing??

I ignore her again.

With each step closer to my daunting destination, my better judgement grows more and more spastic.
Charlotte! Turn around! Now! You need to escape! This is your chance! He's giving you an out! Kirkland Town! Go with Fernando to Kirkland Town! Charlotte! Are you listening to me?? Charlotte! You better listen to me, right now! Don't be an -

I shoot her with my internal pistol and she plummets, flailing and screaming, Charlotte! Nooooo! She falls all the way to the boundless and limitless space in my mind that is Limbo to join my fear of Jaxon, who I also banished back down there. I blow the smoke off the top of my imaginary barrel.

There. That should shut her up.

I press forward with renewed resolve and finally come face to face with Jaxon's door. Pausing to take a deep and balancing breath, I twist the silver knob.