Chapter 17: Speed Chase

I pull into a small, family owned coffee shop called Carson's Coffee in Woodmere, just outside of Hewlett Bay Park and we stroll inside, hand in hand. We order 2 Caramel Macchiatos and take a seat at a small, round table by the front window.

I reach across the table to grab Jaxon's hand while we wait. "It's nice to get out. I've kinda felt like your trophy wife being stuck at the mansion all week."

Jaxon laughs. "My trophy wife, huh? Well, you are very expensive and high maintenance, now that I think of it..."

"I am not," I get defensive.

He laughs again. "I'm just teasing you, Charlotte. You are the farthest thing from a trophy wife. I'm sorry you felt that way this week. It's been stressful."

I squeeze his hand. "I know."

"Charlotte?" the barista calls out. "Your 2 Caramel Macchiatos are ready!"

I jump up and grab the cups from the barista. I take them back to the table and sit down. Both Jaxon and I lift our cups to take a sip.

"Mmm," I sigh. "That's really good."

"Yes, it is," he smiles.

We bask in the warmth, scent and flavor of our coffee. I set my cup down. "Where do you think Los Alacránes are?"

Jaxon lowers his cup. "I don't know. They've switched out their phones so we can't contact them. We've looked in all of their usual places, but they're not there. We've asked around, but nobody seems to know. They're hiding from us, which makes them that much more guilty..."

"Hm, that's weird. Maybe they've found new spots?"

"Yeah, most likely. They don't want us to know their whereabouts."

"Well, I hope you guys find them soon."

"I hope so..." he stops to fix his eyes on something out the window.

I follow his gaze to the Chevron across the street. There's a box truck with the words Wavy Wash painted on the sides filling up on gas at a pump.

And then it stands out like a blonde in a sea of brunettes. A small, black scorpion graffitied on the back left corner.

Los Alacránes.

Speaking of the devils...

We exchange glances.

"Let's go," Jaxon stands abruptly, grabs my hand and drags me out to the car while my mind orbits in circles.

"I want you to drive. Follow them."

Me drive?

"Charlotte, please. They're starting up."

Without allowing myself even a second more to doubt or fear, I hop into the driver's seat and start up the engine. Jaxon jumps in beside me. The Wavy Wash box truck rolls out onto the road and I follow it.

The box truck putters along for a good 10 minutes, then merges onto I-678 North. When I merge onto the freeway behind it, it's then that the driver realizes they're being followed and it picks up speed. I accelerate as well, tailing close behind.

"Good. Keep on them," Jaxon instructs me.

This tailing goes on for a while as the truck weaves back and forth between lanes at 90 MPH and I follow it. The traffic is pretty light for this time of day and thankfully, there are no policemen in sight.