Chapter 7: Not Welcome

That morning, I dream I've fallen into not 1, but 2 connecting black holes. There's guns and bullets floating around me in this forcefield of space. As I lower my head, I notice an eerie circle of blood seeping into my white shirt, right over my heart. In an instant, my body is stretched like taffy by the intense gravity and ripped to minuscule particles in the blackness.

I jolt awake in a panic and frantically touch my arms and face.

They're still intact.

Oh good. I didn't get spaghettified by black holes.

I'm in a cream colored room.

Inside The Red Bullet's mansion.

With Jaxon. The gang leader. My new boss.

And my new crush...

I glance at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 8:07 AM. Friday, June 8th, 2018. Despite being here for only a day, I feel like it's been an eternity. Jaxon makes me feel this way.

Oh, Jaxon...

Rolling out of bed, I shuffle to the closet.

What should I wear?

I recall the black dress Jaxon picked out for me yesterday.

That's right.

I put it on and venture into the bathroom. The White girl staring back at me in the mirror looks uncertain and certain all at once. Her thick, chocolate brown hair that falls to her shoulders is unruly from sleep, her ivory skin is pigmented with flushes of pink and her emerald green eyes are wide with apprehension and possibilities. She looks foreign and unfamiliar.

Who is she now?

I quickly avert my eyes from hers and focus on brushing my teeth. I then tame my wild hair as best as I can with the single tool available: A brush. With the fancy dress I'm wearing, I feel the need to match its elegance to some degree.

I wish I had a curling iron and hairspray or at least some bobby pins...

When I feel my hair is presentable, I scan over my appearance and my eyes halt on my bare feet.

Dang it. We forgot to buy shoes yesterday.

Well, looks like I'll have to wear my black converse...

Although they ruin the whole 'elegant' vibe of the dress that I tried so hard to maintain, they're far more comfortable than any dress shoe.

That'll do just fine. I hope Jaxon likes my outfit.

Of course, he will. He picked it out, remember?

The thought of Jaxon alone sends my heart into a sporadic frenzy and she begins bouncing around her bony cage.

Calm down, I scold her. I'm not fixing your cage again!

I trek downstairs to find Jaxon. There's a bustle of movement and clinking of dishes in what I'm guessing is the dining room. I saunter through the entrance and 7 pairs of eyes are glued to me at once. My eyes lock with the ebony pair. My favorite pair.

"Charlotte," Jaxon stands immediately. He's wearing a casual, black T-shirt again.

Are all of his clothes black?

Although, he does look mighty fine in black, I must say...

"I was just about to come get you. Breakfast is almost ready. I forgot to tell you that breakfast is usually at 8:30."