Chapter 30: Something's Off

Slumping my shoulders, I stare at the barren cherry blossom trees in gloomy disappointment. "The blossoms are gone..."

     "That's okay." Jaxon squeezes my waist with reassurance. "We can still take a picture for your office here. It's a miracle those blossoms held up for as long as they did. I didn't expect them to be here still."

     "But, I did..." I pout my lips.

     He kisses my cheek. "It's okay, baby. We can still take a good picture. How about in front of that fountain?"

     "Alright..." I give in.

     We stroll hand in hand to the fountain and Jaxon takes a seat on the ledge of the surrounding pool before pulling me onto his lap. I wave at a blonde, White man that looks to be about 40 or so passing by. "Excuse me, sir. Would you mind taking a photo of us?"

     He halts in his tracks and his coral eyes light up at my request. "Of course!" He scurries over to us and takes my phone. He backs up a few feet and aims the camera in our direction. Jaxon tightens his hold on my waist. "Say cheese!"

     I gratefully showcase my teeth, genuinely happy that I'm lucky enough to be in Jaxon's arms and Jaxon doesn't smile, but instead presses his soft lips against my cheek. His kiss in the presence of a stranger causes my face to flush scarlet.

     The kind man admires the photo. "You're a cute couple."

     He offers my phone back to me and I take it graciously. "Thank you."

     He smiles with a nod and gets back to his stroll around the park.

     Jaxon and I inspect the photo. I'm looking straight into the camera with genuine emotion and Jaxon is cherishing my cheek with his lips. My heart begins wreaking her usual havoc.

     That's so freaking cute. Why is he so sweet to me?

     I feel his soft lips treasuring my cheek once more. "It's perfect."

    It is perfect. Except for one thing...

     "But the trees in the back... The barren blossom trees are visible..."

     "That's okay. I still think it's perfect."

     My eyes fall on Jaxon in the photo and my heart rattles her bony cage incessantly. "Yeah, it is pretty great. I can't wait to hang it in my office."

     Suddenly, my stomach starts to feel uneasy. I grab it in discomfort and grimace. "That pizza isn't sitting well with me or something... I'm starting to feel sick."

     "I'm sorry, Charlotte," Jaxon strokes my arm. "Do you wanna head home?"

     I nod while my stomach churns with nausea.

    Crap.

     I'm gonna throw up.

     I dash to a nearby garbage can and empty my guts into the bin. Jaxon bolts to my side and holds my hair back. When my insides are completely empty, I stagger into a standing position and Jaxon catches me around my waist. "Let's get you home, okay?" I nod in a daze.

     On the drive home, I feel fine. No nausea symptoms at all. I puzzle over what that random outburst could've been.

     Was it the pizza...?

     That was so sudden and fleeting...

     "Are you doing okay, Charlotte?" Jaxon asks sweetly. "Do you need me to pull over?"