Chapter 27: Mom's Calzones

"Good news," Jaxon breaks my train of thought as he sets down his phone and joins me on the bed. It's late morning, Thursday, June 21, 2018 and I've been lost in a sea of thoughts while Jaxon's been talking on the phone. My nightmare from last night has been plaguing me with uneasiness and I can't eradicate it from my brain.

     "Charlotte?"

     "Huh?"

     Jaxon frowns. "Are you okay?"

     "I'm fine. I'm just tired, that's all."

     He seems to buy it. "Okay. Well, I have good news for you."

     "Oh?"

     "Zeke talked with the director of Woodmere Art Gallery and they're still looking for a Curator. You have an interview on Monday."

     "Really?"

     He kisses me. "Really."

     Me? A Curator?

     "Oh Jaxon, that's great news!" I hug him. "Thank you!"

     His soft lips find my cheek. "Anything for you, baby."

     "And I can drive your Ducati, right?"

     "Only after I teach you how. I'll teach you after dinner today."

     "Okay."

     "I've got some gang business to take care of. I'll be home before dinner," he kisses me. "What's your favorite flower?"

     "Why?" I eye him.

     "It's a surprise."

     "I like hibiscus flowers; red ones, orange ones and the white ones with red in the middle."

     He smiles. "Okay. Stay out of trouble while I'm gone," he winks at me.

     "I will," I laugh.

     He kisses me again. "I'll see you later. I love you."

     "I love you too."

     Jaxon climbs off the bed and leaves, closing the door behind him.

     I grab my art supplies and my painting of the Macy Channel that's in progress and walk out to the pool. I set up an easel, pull up a pool chair and get to work.

     Painting always puts me at ease. What better way to clear my mind?

     And expel the fright of last night.

     I roll onto my stomach and reach for Jaxon, but all I find is a handful of sheets. My sleepy eyes flutter open to scan my surroundings. There's a giant bouquet of red, light orange and white with red hibiscus flowers arranged perfectly with dark green leaves in a beautiful gold vase. An elegant, white card is sitting in front of the vase with graceful pink cursive that reads:

Happy Birthday, Charlotte. These gorgeous flowers capture only a sliver of your beauty. I love you. ❤️
~Jaxon~

     Awe, he's so sweet, my heart swoons.

     I sit up and lean over to smell them.

    They smell divine. I also love the Mexican drink that's made out of them, Jamaica.

     So this is why Jaxon asked about my favorite flower...

     Speaking of Jaxon, where is he?