Chapter 3: The Gang Leader

My thoughts and heartbeat are racing simultaneously at 100 miles a second and I'm glued to the spot, paralyzed with dread.

He's gonna abuse me.

He's gonna beat me.

He's gonna kill me.

"Look..." the gang leader begins tentatively. His harsh voice has become smooth and warm and I'm arrested by his soothing yet sexy scent that is now in close proximity.

It's all very confusing.

"I know you're probably really scared right now, but I'm not going to hurt you. Please, don't be afraid."

Should I believe him?

Heck no! my better judgment shouts.

Eyes fixed on the Macey Channel, I refuse to turn around and face this horrifying man. But without warning, his soft and gentle fingertips take hold of my hand and a merciless gravitational pull like that of 2 magnets links our touching skin. My heart overheats and shuts down.

Before I have time to register what's happening, I'm facing him. His blood red hospital mask is gone and I finally have a full view of his face. In a nanosecond, I soak in his remaining features. His nose is composed of perfectly structured straight and curved lines. His jawline is sharp and his cheek bones are structured and high. His lips are medium-sized, creamy pink, full, youthful and extremely tempting in appearance...

He's hot!

My better judgement face palms herself while my heart finally overcomes her overheating and turns on again just to fall victim to a spazzing of input that can't be computed.

The gang leader stares at me with those infinite and perplexing ebony eyes and this time, they're laced with caution. Close up, those merciless blackholes are so limitless and enticing, that I'm positive I've stepped into their event horizon; the boundary of no escape.

"I promise I won't hurt you," he reassures me. "I want to help you. Please, don't run away."

I lick my lips nervously, unable to avert my eyes from his pinning gaze.

"Follow me." Guiding me back into the bedroom, he stops to close the balcony doors and leads me to the bed. "Sit down." I follow his words without hesitation and he releases my hand.

Why does this fact bother me?

Please, hold my hand again...

Charlotte, what are you saying?? my better judgement scolds me. He's a freaking criminal!

For once, I ignore her.

"Where did he hit you?"

Oh no. He's not gonna ask to look at my bruises, is he?

My eyes dart to the black marble floor in apprehension. Taking hold of my chin, he lifts my face back up to look at him and the gravitational pull of our skin touching and his ebony eyes reeling me in has me trapped.

I blush. The wires in my heart are short circuiting and she's doomed to experience a hard drive crash.

"Tell me where he hit you."

I point to my stomach with a trembling hand.

"Can I take a look?"

My eyes widen with mortification.