Chapter 39: Unforgetful Wedding Bells

It's Saturday, March 16th, 2019. Our wedding day. Gabriel's due date is only 9 days away and my belly is ginormous, so I opted for a wedding dress that flows down from the top of my ribcage with plenty of room for him. It's covered in elegant white lace flowers, has a heart-shaped neckline and long sleeves of the same lace that billow down 6 inches from my wrists. I glide over to our bedroom closet and my train of lace glides behind me. I open the door and remove the light pink, baby dress that Jaxon and I knitted for Leila from its small container. I hold it against my chest. We knitted it for our wedding so she can join us for the ceremony.
I can feel her with us today... This beautiful day...
Kyler scurries into the bedroom. He's my 'maid' of honor and my escort, of course. He's wearing a light pink suit, white button-up shirt and light pink bow tie. "Charlotte, you look absolutely gorgeous!" he exclaims. "Like an ethereal, maternal goddess of life!" He grabs my free hand. "Turn for me." I turn around and he gasps. "I love it! The pink cherry blossoms scattered throughout your beautiful chocolate curls! And that whimsical half-updo! My gosh, girl, I am breathless!"
I smile at Kyler's sweet words.
He is my ultimate hype man.
He spins me back around to face him. "Are you ready, honey? The guests are all here. It's time to start."
I nod. "Almost. I just need you to do one more thing for me."
"Of course, babe."
"There's a small chair in the front row, on the left side of the aisle. Will you place this dress on the chair for me?" I hand him Leila's dress.
He accepts it with delicate hands and watery eyes. "For Leila. Of course, Charlotte. I'll go right now."
A few minutes later, Kyler is back and ready to go. "The dress is secured, my dear."
"Thank you, Kyler. For everything," I smile.
He kisses my cheek. "Anything for you, babe. Now, let's get this show on the road!"
He offers me his arm and I link mine with his. We walk down the stairs and through the kitchen to the door that leads to the backyard. We pause at the threshold and peer through the glass.
There's 10 rows of chairs lined up on the grass with a space for an aisle in the middle. There's ornate, white fabric carpeting the aisle and light pink cherry blossoms sprinkled across it all the way up to Jaxon who is standing in front of Trey, our officiant. Jaxon and Trey are framed by two large and magnificent cherry blossom trees that arch into each other to form the perfect backdrop. Jaxon is wearing an all black suit, white button-up shirt and light pink tie. The chairs are filled with various guests. Leo, Fernando, Mr. Kim, Miss Montgomery, Dr. Reed and Zeke are all here. My mom, Kway, Arthur, Aria and Brad are here as well. And of course, Chris, Kyler's boyfriend. My cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents are also here along with some of Jaxon's extended family who flew in from South Korea.
Kyler senses my nerves. "Ready, babe?"
I take a deep breath. "Ready."
Kyler grabs my trailing bouquet that is a cascade of white and light pink roses, white orchids and light pink cherry blossoms and hands it to me. He turns to a friend of his from beauty school, Travis, who is in charge of the music and waiting for his cue in the kitchen. "Music, please, Travis."
Travis nods and pushes play on his sound system. Pachalbel's Canon in D Major hums through the speakers set up in our backyard. The guests stand and turn towards us. Jaxon shifts in anticipation.
Kyler opens the door and leads me out onto the grass. We walk down the aisle with our arms linked while our guests admire us as we float by. My mom catches my eye and she's balling as discreetly as possible. I smile at her and she smiles back. I glance up at Jaxon whose eyes are fixed on me and no one else. Happy tears are trickling down his cheeks.
Jaxon is crying.
My heart clutches her chest and faints.
That's so sweet.
Jaxon never takes his eyes off of me as I approach him and I keep my eyes fixed on him. His ebony eyes are filled with awe and pure joy. When I reach the front row however, I pause briefly to glance to my left. Leila's light pink baby dress is carefully laid out across a small toddler-sized chair. I shift my bouquet to one hand so I can caress my belly tenderly with the other.
My sweet babies... They're both here with us for this special day...
My eyes are back on Jaxon and now we're face to face. Kyler takes his place by my side and Jaxon takes both of my hands in his. "You look stunning," Jaxon breathes. "You take my breath away."
I cup his cheeks in my hands and brush the tears from his skin with my thumbs. "And you take my breath away, Jaxon. You are the epitome of handsome." He blushes and showcases his adorable dimples with a shy smile.
Jaxon turns to Trey and nods. Kyler signals to Travis to cut the music and Trey begins the ceremony. After a short speech, Trey turns to Jaxon. "Jaxon, do you take Charlotte to be your lawfully wedded wife?"
"I do," Jaxon beams at me.
Trey turns to me. "And Charlotte, do you take Jaxon to be your lawfully wedded husband?"
"I do," I beam back at Jaxon.
"You may now kiss the bride," Trey says with a smile.
Jaxon snatches me into his arms, dips me backwards and kisses me with earnest passion and love. His actions take my breath away. Figuratively and literally. A strange feeling comes over me and suddenly it feels like I'm urinating all over the grass.
Pregnancy bladder! At a time like this!
Jaxon lifts me back up in an instant. "Charlotte, is everything okay?"
A sharp pain seizes my lower back and stomach and I feel Gabriel move inside of me, putting pressure on my pelvis. I clench Jaxon's forearms as I bend over in pain and our guests gasp and mumble.
A contraction. Oh no. That wasn't urine. My water just broke.
"Charlotte, talk to me. Is it Gabriel?" Jaxon asks.
I regain my sense of self. "My water just broke. I think I'm going into labor."
An audible gasp is heard throughout our audience. Dr. Reed jumps out of her seat and rushes to my side. My mother and Kyler are at my side in seconds as well. "Let's get you to my hospital," Dr. Reed says. "Stay focused. Breathe. And try to keep track of the time that elapses between each contraction. The shorter the amount of time, the closer you'll be to having to push."
I nod.
"I'll keep track," my mom volunteers. She makes note of the time for my first contraction in her phone.
"Don't you worry, babe. I'll take over from here," Kyler assures me.
Jaxon lifts me into a bridal hold and carries me to his 300c while Kyler addresses our guests.
"Attention guests," Kyler speaks into a microphone. "Our lovely bride has gone into labor. Her and the groom will be going to a hospital to have their baby. There are drinks and food on the tables to your left. Please help yourselves and thank you so much for coming."
Gotta love Kyler.
We reach the 300c and my mom opens the back door. Jaxon lays me across the backseat and I gradually push myself into a sitting position. My mom sits next to me and Dr. Reed sits in the passenger's seat. Jaxon hurries around the car to the drivers's seat, starts the car and drives.
Dr. Reed whips out her cellphone and makes a call. "I need people in the Labor and Delivery Unit. Get them there as soon as possible." She hangs up the phone and turns to me. "Looks like Gabriel couldn't stand to miss your wedding," she smiles.
We all laugh and it breaks some tension that we're all feeling.
A few minutes into the drive, another sharp pain grasps my lower back and stomach and I can feel Gabriel pushing on my pelvis again. I concentrate on my breaths and my mom squeezes my hand until the contraction passes. She takes out her phone. "It's been 7 minutes since your last contraction."
"We're almost there, Charlotte," Dr. Reed says.
"You've got this, Charlotte," Jaxon glances at me in the rearview mirror.
I've got this.
We finally reach Dr. Reed's private hospital and she dashes inside to grab a wheelchair. She's out in seconds. Jaxon cautiously lifts me out of the car and into the wheelchair. He wheels me inside with Dr. Reed and my mother close behind.
Another contraction takes control of my lower midsection and I can feel Gabriel trying to come out. I grip the handles of the wheelchair to brace myself through the pain.
"They're 5 minutes apart now," my mom says.
"This way," Dr. Reed directs us to a hallway on the right. "I have a small Labor and Delivery Unit over here."
Jaxon wheels me inside and lifts me onto the bed.
"I'll be back with the necessary equipment," Dr. Reed informs us. "In the meantime, Elena, my labor and delivery nurse will help you." She turns to my mom. "Karla, will you grab her some water and ice, please. There's a kitchen through that door," she points to the left side of the hall.
"Of course," my mom jumps up.
Dr. Reed and my mom hurry off.
Jaxon pulls up a chair next to me and holds my hand between both of his.
A Hispanic woman with a long, black, flowing ponytail enters the room. "Hi Sweetie, I'm Elena. I'll be your labor and delivery nurse. Now, tell me, do you want to get an epidural?"
"Yes, please," I nod.
"I'll get that going right away."
"Thank you."
She turns to Jaxon. "Jaxon, sir. Will you please help Charlotte get out of her wedding dress and into a labor and delivery gown?"
"Of course," Jaxon stands up immediately and helps me change. Elena scurries out of the room.
When I'm in the labor and delivery gown, Jaxon lays me back down on the bed and places my wedding gown on a hanger in the closet. He takes his place next to me again, grabs my hand and kisses it. "You've got this, Charlotte. I'll be right here through the whole thing," he gives my hand an encouraging squeeze.
"Thank you, Jaxon," I smile and squeeze his hand back.
I brace myself for the remainder of my labor and delivery.
Soon we will get to meet Gabriel...

My world has gone black. As I progressively gain consciousness again, I can make out a high pitched wail.
Gabriel.
My fingers slowly regain their sense of touch and they're blessed by a silky soft texture beneath them. I caress it and feel a tiny back beneath my fingertips.
My baby.
My arm instinctively cradles him as I pull him into my chest.
The world comes back to my vision and I can finally see Jaxon, my mom, Dr. Reed and Elena beaming at me with pure joy.
Gabriel continues to cry, so I bring his body up to my face. "It's okay, Mommy's here. I love you, sweet boy." He stops crying in an instant. I kiss his plump little cheek.
Gently cradling his tiny neck with one hand and holding his bottom with the other, I turn him to face me. Deep ebony eyes of wonder stare back at me.
He has Jaxon's eyes.
His head is topped with thick and shiny ebony locks and his cheeks are round and plump.
He looks just like Jaxon.
My sweet baby boy.
Happy tears cover my cheeks as I marvel at our beautiful baby.
"He's a gorgeous baby," my mom sighs. "He has your eyes, Jaxon."
I glance up at Jaxon whose hands have fallen to his sides as complete shock washes over his face.
"He looks just like you, Jaxon," I chime happily.
Jaxon is stuck in a state of awe and is completely dumbstruck.
"Do you want to hold him?" I ask.
His eyes grow wide with anxiety.
"It's okay. You won't hurt him."
I offer Gabriel to him and he lifts his hands with uncertainty. My mom talks him through it. "Cradle the back of his neck with that hand. Good. Now hold his bottom with your other hand. And let him nestle into your arm. Yes, just like that."
Jaxon is now holding Gabriel in his arms and he is gaping at his son with absolute wonder. He is yet to utter a single word as his eyes are riveted to his son.
We all watch in reverent silence.
Jaxon lifts his tattooed fingers and strokes Gabriel's plump little cheek. "My...son..." he chokes out. A small droplet of water forms on his bottom lash line. It builds in size until his lashes break under pressure and release it onto his cheek. 1 droplet becomes 2, then 3, until finally, a whole dam is broken and reconciling water torrents down his skin. "My son..." Jaxon sobs. "My son..."
Dr. Reed ushers everyone out of the room. "Let's give them some privacy." She shuts the door behind her.
Jaxon is in another world admiring his son and his eyes haven't left him for a second. Knowing Gabriel is in good hands, I allow my heavy eyelids to close and drift off into an exhausted sleep.

A heavenly, soothing voice singing in a hushed and gentle tone wakes me from my sleep. I gradually open my eyes and scan the room for its source. Jaxon is sitting in a chair a ways off, lovingly rocking our sleeping Gabriel in his arms as he sings to him. I squint my eyes half shut so I can observe them in secret...

"Lullaby, and good night, in the skies stars are bright.
May the moon's silvery beams bring you sweet dreams.
Close your eyes now and rest, may these hours be blessed.
'Til the sky's bright with dawn, when you wake with a yawn.
Lullaby, and good night, you are (Daddy's) delight.
I'll protect you from harm, and you'll wake in my arms." -1

All this time, I never knew Jaxon has such an angelic voice. It's hypnotizing.
Pausing his singing, Jaxon leans down and plants a gentle kiss on Gabriel's forehead.
"I love you, Gabriel. Daddy loves you. So much... Daddy will never hurt you or your Mommy... I promise you that..." he chokes on his last words and grateful tears begin rolling down his cheeks.
"All I needed...
All this time...
Was your beautiful Mommy...
And you."
He places another tender kiss on Gabriel's forehead.
"Your Halmeoni was right. You're an angel from heaven...
My angel."
Silent tears are streaming down my face like a river. This is the most heart-wrenching thing I've ever witnessed.
I attempt to muffle any sounds so I don't ruin this wonderful father and son moment.

1- Brahm's Lullaby