Chapter 5: Shopping

The streets are bustling with a line of dotted headlights and I admire the passing affluent houses that catch their orange rays.

     "Where are we?" I turn to peer up at Jaxon's attractive face in the dimly lit car. I'll take any chance I can get to just look at him. His velvet soft skin and lips are as distracting as ever.

     "Hewlett Bay Park."

     "Oh. It's nice."

     "Yes, it is. I'm guessing you've never been around here?"

     "No, it's far too upscale for my meager wage."

     "Where do you work?"

     "Glenda's Diner. As a waitress."

     Jaxon's face is contemplative. "And you didn't know that... vile filth was working for us?"

     "No. I never saw a cent of the money he earned from your gang... or the other gang for that matter...I've been our only source of income since we moved in together... Or so I thought..."

     A flint of rage that I witnessed earlier sparks across Jaxon's eyes. "He was a worthless leech."

     The car falls silent.

     He really was...

     I clear my throat. "Thank you..." I finally strike up the courage to say those 2 words. They've been on my tongue in waiting since he saved me.

     "For what?"

     "For standing up for me."

     I'm rewarded with a charming and arresting, dimpled smile that sends my heart bursting out of her bony cage. Again.

     Not again... I just put her cage back together...

     "You're most welcome, Charlotte." My name on his lips is beyond captivating and I'm gawking at their soft form once more as they move gracefully over each word.

     Oh, how I long to kiss them...

     Charlotte, seriously! I shake my wayward thoughts.

     "Why are you being so nice to me?" I feign distraction.

     Jaxon's infinite ebony eyes appear injured by my question. "Why? Because I'm a gang leader? Who says a gang leader can't be nice to a sweet and pretty girl?"

     I'm struck dumb and mute by his response and my heart begins a game of pinball across my organs.

     Calm down! I scold her, but she's having the time of her life. Somehow, I manage to recover my voice and some measure of balance. "You're kind-hearted, for a gang leader..."

     Now he's scoffing at me. "I'm anything but kind-hearted, baby. I just couldn't stand to see you getting hurt, that's all."

     "Why?"

     "Past experience."

     And his words from earlier resurface again: "I loathe men like you..."

     "What past experience?"

     "I don't want to talk about it." His firm and final gaze silences me and a hush falls over the moving car.

     After watching the city lights zip past for quite some time, I tentatively peek up at Jaxon and venture to ask another lingering question. "What are you going to do with me?"