Chapter 15: Cherry Blossoms

The drive is a long one, but I bask in every minute of it. There's no place I'd rather be than right here with my arms around Jaxon, close to him and cared for and safe. There are no words to describe how happy I am that I didn't leave for Kirkland Town this morning.

     I'm also thoroughly enjoying the motorcycle ride. There's just something about riding on a motorcycle, being a part of the environment and one with the elements as the wind laces between your hair and caresses your face that's so exhilarating and cathartic at the same time.

    I love it.

     We drive onto the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge and I know we're in Manhattan. I came down this way once to see the Statue of Liberty with Vick. Before he started abusing me...

     I wonder what we're doing here?

     About 15 minutes later, we're weaving through New York City, New York and Jaxon finally kills the engine in front of Toasties. He slides off his helmet to glance back at me. "Let's get some breakfast first."

     "Okay."

     I take off my helmet and we walk into Toasties, hand in hand. A gorgeous and platinum blonde White girl who doesn't look a day over 18 greets us happily. A little too happily.

     She only has eyes for Jaxon...

     "Welcome to Toasties, sir! What will you be having today?" Her question is directed at Jaxon and Jaxon only as she greedily soaks in his appearance and ignores my existence. I might as well be part of the cedar floorboards.

     I glare at her.

    Yes, he's the walking epitome of a beautiful and sexy man. A criminal offense, really. But, please keep your eyes off him.

     My arm finds its way around Jaxon's and I tug him closer to stake my claim.

     Jaxon's mine.

     Jaxon doesn't respond to the girl and instead shifts his attention to me. "What would you like, Charlotte?"

     I can't help but straighten with satisfaction as I study the menu. "Hmm. Some French Toast. With Whip Cream and Strawberries."

     Jaxon turns to the girl who seems a little dejected that he ignored her. "I'll have the same."

     She keeps persisting with her visual interrogation of Jaxon anyway. "Okay sir, will that be all?" She bites her bottom lip while twisting a strand of her platinum blonde hair around her index finger.

     Jaxon turns his face into mine. "What do you want to drink, baby?"

     Baby again? It's my lucky day.

     "An Orange Peach Mango smoothie."

     "Good choice," he turns to the girl. "Make that an extra large. That'll be it."

     The girl looks hurt again. "20.17 is your total."

     Jaxon hands her his card.

     "Okay. That should be ready in about 10 minutes. What's the name for the order, sir?"

     "Jaxon."

     "Great! Have a seat and it'll be out in a jiffy, Mr. Jaxon!" She's beaming at him like he's her source of sunlight.

     Oh, please. Lay off him.

     We take a seat to wait at a small, round table by the window.