Chapter 13: Can't Be With You

Jaxon appears just as annoyed as I feel and is anything but happy to see Khleo. He releases me. "What?"

"So sorry to interrupt Boss, but we have a visitor..."

Khleo steps aside to unveil a trembling, Black boy who looks to be about 18 years old. He's handcuffed and all the other gang members form a barricade around him so he can't escape.

"We caught him at the drug warehouse when we pulled in. He claims he stumbled upon it by accident, but I think he's a spy for another gang. Maybe The Nightwalkers."

Jaxon's soft demeanor transforms in an instant as his eyes fog over with an unspeakably dark essence.

They're fogged with a sadistic threat.

He's going to hurt him.

As I review the boy's appearance, I can sense his innocence rattling off his trembling form.

"Don't hurt him, Jaxon. I think he's inno-"

"Charlotte, go up to your room," Jaxon cuts me off. "Now."

I follow his orders immediately and scurry past all of them, but I stop as soon as I turn a corner in the hallway. I crouch down in hiding behind a giant statue of a motherly looking woman and watch them retreat up the stairs. When they've passed and the coast is clear, I follow them.

They drag their captive into the magnificently spacious living room and chuck him onto the plush and spotless, cream colored carpet. I take cover behind a giant, grey armchair and watch.

Jaxon towers over him in fury. "What the hell were you doing at our drug warehouse??"

"I stumbled across it by accident! I promise!"

"Who do you work for??"

"What??"

"What gang do you work for??"

"No one! I don't work for anyone!"

Jaxon smacks him hard across the face and I cringe from the sound.

"Don't lie or I'll beat you to death!"

"I'm not lying! I promise! Please, don't hurt me!"

"I don't believe you! Tell me who you work for! Now!"

"No one!"

"The Nightwalkers??"

"No! I don't even know who that is!"

"Los Alacránes??"

"I don't know who you're talking about!"

"Who do you work for??"

"No one!"

Jaxon throws another fierce blow at their captive's face and a blood curdling crack ensues along with his cochlear-splitting screams. A stream of red dribbles out of the corner of his mouth and sails into the untainted cream colored carpet.

"Tell me the truth or I'll murder you!"

"Please! No!" their captive shrieks in pain. "I'm innocent!"

Don't kill him, Jaxon. Please, don't kill him. He's innocent.

"TELL ME THE TRUTH!"

"I AM!"

"Khleo, get me my gun..."

What? No!

Khleo leaves to do as he's told.