Chapter 31: Disagreement

Upon arriving at work, I head straight to Kway's office and tap on her door.

"Come in."

Very gingerly, I twist it open. "Hi Kway. I'm so sorry I'm late... I wasn't feeling well this morning, but I feel fine now."

"Okay. Are you sure you're well enough to work? You're as pale as can be."

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright. Let me know if you need anything."

"Okay, thanks."

I shut myself in my office and the day drags on with that weary feeling weighing down my body and now an unsettling sense of dread pooling in the pit of my stomach.

At least I haven't puked today if that accounts for anything at all...

I attempt to finish familiarizing myself with all the pieces in our gallery and the artists that made them in our computer system, but I can't focus. All I can think about is the little life form growing inside my belly.

And Jaxon. His reaction.

He wouldn't leave me over this...

Right?

He said he loves me. And he told me to never leave him. He made me promise him.

Maybe he'll accept the baby?

Our baby.

My hands envelope my stomach in a loving caress.

Our beautiful baby.

Those fantasies of adorable, little Jaxon's with dimpled smiles, playing and laughing, possess my brain.

I've always wanted a baby... Especially with Jaxon.

I love him.

He's gotta accept our baby. He has to. It's his flesh and blood. My flesh and blood.

"Your Daddy will accept you, right?"

Now, I'm talking to it; that little ball of life inside of me...

My mom is gonna sky rocket through the roof with excitement when she finds out. Looks like she's getting a grand baby after all. A lot sooner than she expected...

A knock on my office door startles me into reality. "Come in." The silver knob twists and Jaxon walks into the room.

Crap.

I was not expecting that.

"Jaxon?" my voice betrays my sense of panic. "What're you doing here??"

While shutting the door behind him, he lifts up a bag of sandwiches from Sue's Sandwich Shop. "I brought you lunch."

"Oh. You didn't have to do that..."

Setting the bag on my desk, he takes a seat across from me. "But I wanted to. You've been sick these last few days and you haven't eaten much. I want to make sure you eat something."

"Oh, Jaxon. That's so sweet of you."

He offers me a Chicken and Pesto Club and I take it graciously. "You remembered my favorite kind."

He nods with his cute, dimpled smile.

"Thank you."

"Of course. Anything for you, baby."