Chapter 42: A Drawn-Out Exhale

Gabriel is bolting around the house, cleaning everything in sight. He's now 10-years-old. He's tall, handsome and growing more and more mature each day. He's almost an exact replica of his father with his thick and shiny ebony locks and deep ebony eyes. It's hard to believe how much he's grown and the fact that he's not my little boy anymore.
Jaxon will be turning 37 on June 20th and I will be 34 on June 22nd. I know mid-30s isn't that old, but I feel really old. I'm gradually losing touch with what's 'trendy' and Gabriel often tells me that I sound like Grandma, aka, my mom. I look the same as I did 10 years ago, aside from a few grey hairs speckled across my head and a few faint wrinkles just beginning to form by my eyes.
Today is Monday, March 26, 2029. Jaxon's release date.
"I washed this pillowcase and blanket for Dad's side of the bed," Gabriel informs me as he holds up a laundry basket with clean bedding. "Which side did he used to sleep on?"
Dad's side of the bed... It's hard to remember what it's like to share a bed with Jaxon...
"Thank you, Gabe," I smile at him. "You can put it on the right side. That's where Dad used to sleep."
"Okay, thanks Mom," he rushes into my bedroom to do so.
I chuckle to myself.
Gabriel is just as caring as ever.
I walk past Gabriel fixing up his Dad's bedding and into the master bathroom. I shut the door and lock it.
I have my own preparations to make for Jaxon's homecoming...
30 minutes later, there's a knock on the bathroom door. "Mom, are you almost done? We need to leave soon."
"Yeah, I'll be out in a minute, Sweetie."
"Okay. I'm gonna go put my shoes on."
I open the door and stop to look at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a cap-sleeved, scarlet red dress that falls just above my knees in a flowing A-line. It perfectly accentuates my figure with a cinched waist and heart-shaped neck. The ensemble is finished off with a pair of black pumps. It's the same outfit I wore the day that Jaxon and I had our first kiss.
The dress still fits after 11 years...
My long chocolate hair is loosely curled and I'm wearing light make up. I spritz myself with some Prada Candy Gloss perfume and apply a few layers of strawberry flavored chapstick.
Just like I did that day 11 years ago...
I clink out into the entryway and Gabriel is waiting for me. "Wow, mom. You look beautiful."
"Thank you, Gabe. And you look as handsome as ever."
His dimples come out of hiding as he smiles.
I hold out my hand and Gabriel takes it. "Let's go get your father."

I'm holding Gabriel's hand as we wait outside of Sing Sing Correctional Facility. Jaxon should be coming out any minute. We both have the anxious jitters and we're bouncing with excitement.
10 minutes go by but it seems like an eternity. Finally, the doors to the main entrance open.
Jaxon walks out in his wedding attire, an all black suit with a white button-up shirt and light pink tie. It's the same clothes he was wearing on our wedding day and Gabriel's birthday as well as the day after when he was arrested. It's washed and pressed and looks pristine as ever. He graces us with a smile so bright that the morning sun dulls in comparison. He runs to us and we run to him.
We all form one giant embrace and breathe out a uniform sigh of relief.
We're all together again. After 10 years.
Finally.
Jaxon kisses us both again and again. "I've missed you 2 so much..."he sighs.
"We've missed you too," my voice breaks.
"Oh, Charlotte," Jaxon snatches me by the waist. He clenches the fabric on my lower back and yanks my body against his. Our lips smash together and we kiss each other like we're finally quenching a thirst that's been plaguing us for 100 years. "You look like a goddess as usual," he inhales my breath. "Oh how I've missed you..."
I wrap my arms around his neck and bury my face in his chest. We hold each other for a long time.
Gabriel clears his throat. "Are you guys done kissing and hugging yet?"
We break our hug and laugh.
"Let's get home, Gabe," I wink at him. "Time to show Dad all your hard work in preparing for his homecoming."
Gabriel blushes.
Just like his Dad.

When we enter our front door, Gabriel shows Jaxon everything he did for him as he drags him around the house. "You can put your shoes here," he motions to the shoe rack by the door. "And this will be your chair," he motions towards a chair at the dining room table. He leads Jaxon up the stairs and into our bedroom and I trail close behind. "I got you a brand new toothbrush in the bathroom and a clean towel," he points to the bathroom. "And clean bedding for your side of the bed. Mom said you sleep on the right side."
Jaxon reels Gabriel into a hug. "Thank you, Gabe. This is the best homecoming I could ever ask for."
"Of course, Dad. Welcome home."
"I have a gift for you as well," I smile.
"Oh...?" Jaxon is surprised.
I walk over to my nightstand, open the drawer and pull out a white envelope that's decorated with light pink cherry blossoms. I make my way back to Jaxon and hand it to him. "Open it."
Jaxon rips the envelope open and pulls out its contents. 3 round trip plane tickets to Jinhae-gu, South Korea. His mom's childhood home.
His eyes glass over with tears of gratitude and disbelief. "Charlotte... I... I don't know what to say... Thank you." He throws his arms around me and cries into my shoulder. "Thank you... This means so much to me..."
"We'll leave next week on Monday, April 2nd and we'll be there until the 9th," I continue. "The height of Cherry Blossom Season. You'll finally get to see the cherry blossoms in your mom's hometown."
Jaxon is convulsing with sobs against my chest now and I cradle his crumpled form. "Thank... you... Charlotte... Thank... you..."

That night, Jaxon and I make love to each other with the ravaging hunger of 2 people that have been starved for 100 years. It feels like we've both been born a 2nd time and we are finally complete in each other's arms. As we finish, there's a knock on our door.
"Mom...? Dad...?" Gabriel calls through the wood.
We both jump out of bed and throw our pajamas on in a flash. "Just a minute, Gabe," I call back to him.
When Jaxon and I are fully dressed, I open the door. Gabriel is standing there waiting with puppy-like eyes. "Can I sleep with you and Dad? I just want to sleep next to him... I've always dreamed about it..."
I reel him into a hug. "Of course, Sweetie."
Jaxon jumps onto the bed and pats the spot next to him. "Get on up here, buddy."
Gabriel happily hops onto the bed next to him and snuggles against his chest. I join them and wrap my arms around Gabriel.
"I'm so glad you're back, Dad," Gabriel sighs. "I've been waiting my whole life for this..."
"Me too, Gabe," Jaxon kisses his forehead. "Me too. I love you."
"I love you, Dad." He turns to face me. "I love you, Mom."
"I love you, Gabe."
We all hold each other.
My heart releases 10 years worth of tension in a long, drawn-out exhale.
She is finally at peace.