Who are you - Part three

„O'Connell's?"

„Yep! Right here, follow me!"

The restaurant seems very lowkey, exactly my kind of people sitting all over the place which makes me smile. The waitress guides me through the tables, a few eyes on me.

„Sorry for being late." I smile, finally arriving at the table.

The family looks at me intently as I go around the table to greet them. Finneas gives me a short hug, as does Claudia, Patrick shakes my hand and Maggie pulls me into a hug after I try to shake her hand. I notice two seats empty next to Finneas and one next to Claudia.
I let out a huff and sit down next to Claudia, avoiding all their looks.

„Where's Billie?" Claudia whispers, the parents already engaged in conversation.

„How would I know-„ I whisper back, Claudia's face showing confusion

„I mean, I have no idea."

After calling her a few times, Finneas decides to just order without her and we call the waiter.

„Can I just have a burger?" I ask, the waiter nodding.
The family orders their food and then Maggie starts asking me questions about myself.

„I like you a lot already, I can see why both Finneas and Billie are big fans of you." She says, winking at me.

„Thank you, that means a lot - I mean you've raised two wonderful children." I say to both Patrick and Maggie, even feeling a bit jealous when I see the pride in their eyes.

„What do your parents do?" Maggie asks, her head on her hand.

„Uh well they're not really here anymore." I explain, Maggie's eyes immediately softening.

„Oh I'm so sorry, sorry for asking." She quickly says as everyone else looks at me sadly.

Suddenly the waiter approaches, the red haired girl behind him.

„Sorry for being late!" Billie mumbles awkwardly, she quickly gives both her parents a kiss on the head and when she greets me, she plants a kiss on my cheek. My cheeks begin to burn as I sit up and move my eyes anywhere else.

„Where were you?" Finneas asks in a brotherly tone.

„Just had to take care of something- have you guys ordered yet?" The group nods.

„Alrighttt! What were we talking about?" The silence for the next few seconds is deafening as everyone looks at me, Billie catching on.

I clear my throat and drink a sip of my water.

„Maggie was about to tell me what she does." I say, thankfully smiling at her when she starts talking about her work.

„That's amazing though, how passionate you are about that." I say astounded „I'm sorry if it was disrespectful that I ordered a burger, I've just never been educated about that." I explain honestly, thinking back to my education during my younger years.

„Don't worry Y/n-„ Finneas starts, looking at me empathetically.

„This place is fully vegan anyway." Maggie explains, laughing at my surprised face.

„She hates vegan food, ma." Billie says in response, her tone laced with boredom.

My head moves over to the girl, eyes piercing at her as she keeps her eyes locked on her phone.

„I don't hate it, I've just never tasted anything great." I explain, hands sweaty.

„Don't dwell on it Y/n, I know how my daughter can be." Maggie says smiling, Billie looking up from her phone for the first time.