fourteen

☄. *. ⋆ I PLAYED DUMB BUT I ALWAYS KNEW
olivia rodrigo

THE RESTAURANT was slightly packed, a long table towards the corner was taken up by the hockey team, with the exception of Stella, Georgia, and Addison.

Stella had nearly finished her glass of water before she was excusing herself to the restroom, the bathrooms in a dimly light corner, hidden behind a long wall with pictures.

She fixed her hair after washing her hands, scoffing as the paper towel dispensary was empty. She opened the door to the ladies room, a small gasp leaving her lips as she nearly tipped back into it.

"Fuck!" She held a hand to her heart, her eyes darting over the taller frame stood at the corner of the hall, even if she couldn't see his face, it was the stare that burned into her like venom. 

"I'm sorry." He stepped closer into the light. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Thats alright." Stella shook her hands at the side, attempting to rid of the droplets. "Is everything okay?"

Matt Boldy nodded, taking a glance over his shoulder;checking if the coast had been clear. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Okay." Stella nodded, swallowing. She, too, had seemed just as nervous as the boy in front of her.

"Look, I know we aren't super close or anything, but you should know this." Matt took one last glance at entry way. "I think you're cool and all, so, this is exactly why I'm telling you. Jack is, kinda, talking to someone."

Stella cocked a brow, both stunned and confused. "Sorry? What do you mean, Bolds?"

"They've been on and off for a while now. She lives around an hour away, she's come to visit before. She was here for a week during tryouts." Matt explained rather quickly. "Her name is Chelsea."

Stella practically had to lean on the wall for support as the words left his mouth freely. This couldn't be true. But now, this was a game of trust. She had to pick one to believe and it was surely fueling her migraine even more.

"Right." She finally spoke. "And, like, what? Are you trying to imply they still speak?"

"You didn't hear it from me." Matt squeezed her shoulder before brushing past her and heading into the men's room.

Stella pinched the bridge of her nose, collecting herself before returning back to the chatty table as she sat beside Jack once more.

She could feel his eyes burn into her side profile, eyeing her carefully before reaching for her hand. "You alright?"

"Mhm." Stella hummed, still looking straight. "Just fine."

Jack could sense the sudden switch in her attitude but he didn't question it. He turned back to his friends, engaging in their conversation with his hand still pressing on her knee.

Every time his phone buzzed beside her, her eyes flicked towards it, having the sudden urge to pick it up and type her name.

Stella no longer had an appetite as she stared at the appetizers being passed around the table, the thought of eating made her nauseated.

"You not hungry?" Jack nudged her slightly, knitting his brows. "Did you want something else?"

The concern mixed with a small pout on his lips had her stomach twisting. This was her Jack, the one who had cared to much about her, rather than putting food on his own plate.

"I'm okay, thanks." Stella nodded, even with the rumbling of her stomach. "More for you, right?"

Jack forced a smile with a small nod. "Am I still driving you home?"

"If you want." Stella shrugged. "I could always catch a ride with Addison."

"I'll drive you." He nearly insisted, the desperation in his voice clear. "It's really no worry, SJ. My greatest pleasure."

Stella felt the corners of her lips turn up before giving his resting hand a squeeze, her eyes shooting up as Matt returned, sitting across from them.

He shot her a dumbfounded glance before chuckling as he spotted Jack leaning into her.

"You sure you're okay?" Jack asked, feeling her tense beneath his touch. His own eyes fell on his teammate, the pure distaste growing as he watched Matt Boldy stare at her like his prey.

Stella nodded, feeling the pressure of both of their stares: she regretted coming to dinner after all as she
wanted to slump down and never be seen again.

here we go.