thirty

☄. *. ⋆  ITS OBVIOUS THAT WANTING ME DEAD
REALLY BROUGHT YOU TWO TOGETHER
taylor swift

MATT

I TRULY believe that people have good hearts, no matter what actions they choose to make. I wasn't a judgmental person, I never had been, but now, I was starting to understand why people were.

I had a strong feeling of resentment for the past two weeks, especially towards Stella. I was made to be an idiot, falling for the girl that was completely wrapped up in my teammate, that I loathed. And it seemed to not be one sided.

So, when Jack was knocking on my door, the puppy dog look in his eyes, I nearly regurgitated as I opened my front door.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I spat, eyeing him up and down. I was waiting to hear the bullshit answer for him to tell me I had a shitty practice or for our scuffle a few days ago.

Jack seemed on edge as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "I just want to talk, man. Do you think we can have a civil conversation for once?"

I fought the urge to laugh as I stepped to the side, fighting my own inner battles to kick the shit out of him. I led him to the dinning room, taking a seat as he scooted his chair out, facing diagonal from me. I, then realized how proper we seemed.

"What'd I do now?" I crossed my arms, leaning back into the leather chair.

Jack shook his head, folding his hands together on the top of the table. "You didn't do anything. I'm...I'm here to apologize."

I placed my finger over my lips, cocking a brow at him. Never in a million years did I think Jack would be the one to commence this conversation. Jack;the cockiest, brattiest, and most full of himself person on the planet.

"You are?" I repeated like I was delusional. And maybe I had been. "Yeah, for what?"

"Stella." He licked his lips, glancing down at his lap.

It was all starting to click, he cared more about Stella than anything. But, I did, too. I didn't think either of us would be open to talking about her with each other. In the end, she chose Jack, and I feared it would last that way forever.

"What about her?" I played dumb, a half-lie as I pretended I didn't notice them coddling at every damn practice. "Did she break your heart already?"

Jack chuckled dryly, shaking his head. "No. Look, I know the entire thing is fucked, Boldy. I didn't treat her right at first, I know. But...I fucking love her man. And she thinks you hate her."

Hearing the word love leave his lips was the equivalent to pouring alcohol on a fresh wound, the feeling making you queasy and draw your lips back with a hiss sound.

"You love her, huh?" That seemed to be the only thing my mind would focus on. "You're right, you didn't treat her right. You fucked dumped her. And you'll do it again, Jack."

"I won't." He defended, his argumentative demeanor beginning to show. "I refuse to put myself in the position to lose her again. I know that's hard to believe."

I ran a hand down my chin, feeling my jaw locking the more he talked. "It is hard to believe. I know you Jack. You're a cocky asshole who chicks throw themselves at and you eat up every second of it. What happens after the draft, huh?"

"We'll work it out." Jack crossed his arms. "I'm not going to do anything to fuck it up."

"So, is that why you're here?" I pressed. "To rub it in my face that she chose you? I don't know what bullshit lies you're feeding her but it's working out for you."

Jack rolled his lips into his mouth, breathing through his nose as he tried to contain himself. "Why can't you just get the fuck over shit?"

"Get over shit?" I laughed, hitting my palm against the table as he didn't flinch. "Stella deserves so much better than you, Jack."

"What? Someone like you?" Jack leaned back, staring at me with disgust. "You ruined our fucking relationship in the first place. You took her from me."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, in a complete state of shock. "Do you hear yourself? The first time I even saw her, Jack, I fucking needed her. And then you sweep right in and she's at your feet. Why do you always want what you can't have?"

"I have her." He retaliated. The three words burning into my heart as I blinked. "I'm not here to sort shit out between you and I. I'm here because I love her and every time she sees you she cowers. She doesn't deserve that."

Anytime I had seen Stella, I walked past her and acted like her existing perfectly fine without me, didn't tear me to shreds. It was easier to pretend to hate her rather than facing the fact; I wanted her all to myself.

Stella was divine, like a hot cup of chocolate after playing in the snow for hours. She was sweet and had the lifestyle of a wild child. She was a dream and being away from her was a rude awakening.

"You should know, man. You lost her once, too. I think you know why I'm doing it." I lowered my voice, my hostility towards my captain disappearing like a snap of someone's fingers. "It's just not fair. You walk out of her life and come strutting back in and she just takes you back, leaving me in the dust without even looking back."

"She cares about you, dude." Jack nodded. "She does. That's who she is. Just please, stop acting like a dick to her."

I would blind if I said Stella was partially to blame for this. She made her own decisions and now she was dealing with the consequences. She couldn't have us both, she already made her choice.

"Yeah, fine." I shrugged. "I'll be nice to her."

"You have a good heart, Boldy." Jack pressed his lips together. It took me a minute to process that he had said it, that Jack had actually been nice to me.

I was stunned, clicking my tongue as I nodded. "Just the way I was raised." I paused, meeting his gaze. "Don't fuck things up with her. She's a once in lifetime opportunity. You'll regret it."

"I know." Jack smiled softly. "She's everything to me."

MATT POV UNLOCKED