twenty

☄. *. ⋆ YOUR HEART WAS GLASS, I DROPPED IT.
taylor swift

JACK

IS THERE such a thing as, "I'm sorry I hurt you. Please forgive me," flowers? I scanned the entire row of freshly picked bouquets and the smell was staring to give me a headache.

I hadn't realized there had been this many kinds of flowers. Frankly, I only ever noticed sunflowers. Maybe roses, too.

"Excuse me?" I cleared my throat, glancing at the florist standing a few rows down from me. "Can I bother you for some help?"

The older lady flashed a smile, adjusting the beaded glasses on her nose as she walked over to me, using her cane for leverage. "What can I help you with?"

"Did you have, like, flowers for apologizing?" I stuttered, feeling like a complete idiot standing in front of the expert.

She chuckled a sweet laugh that made me feel slightly better before she scanned her prize possessions. "Lilies are associated with forgiveness and renewal. Blue Hyacinths represent sincerity and deep apologies."

I pulled on my chin slightly. Yeah, scratch what I said about feeling better.

The old woman must've sensed my confusion as she shifted her feet to face me. "How bad did you screw up, kid?"

I was taken aback by her boldness, the curious look in her eye had me scratching the back of my neck. "Pretty bad."

"With a girl? Or boy? I don't judge." She smiled, making me laugh softly.

"A girl." I hummed. "I thought flowers would be a step in the direction to making her not hate me."

The florist clicked her tongue, standing on her tiptoes to grab a small bouquet, gesturing me over towards the counter.

Her wrinkled fingers began to wrap the stems of the flowers in wrapping paper, adding a small pink ribbon to extenuate the white flowers.

"These are Lilies of the Valley." She glanced up at me. "Stands for rebirth. My suggestion, attempt to have a do over with the girl."

If Stella didn't scream at me to get off her porch, or worse, if Matt had been there. I don't know which scenario I'd pick.

"Uh, yes." I blinked with a nod, handing my card to her. "Thank you so much."

She typed my information in before handing me the bouquet. "Good luck."

I had hurried back to my car, setting the white flowers down in the passenger seat. My heart was pounding, ringing in my ears as I began to drive there. Maybe I should call. No, I can't. Just be a man, Jack.

All of this hyping I had gotten from Trevor and Cole was starting to get to my head. The two worst people to take dating advice from.

I pulled the car into park after the short drive. I stared up at her home, the lights turned off except for her room light. I look like a fucking creep.

"C'mon, Jack." I rubbed my eyes, flipping down my mirror to check my appearance, running a hand through my chestnut hair.

I exited my car, making sure to shut the door quietly. I didn't want to startle her even more than I already have. I kept the flowers behind my back as I walked rather slow to her front door.

I hesitated, mentally cursing myself as I rang the door bell, making sure to look back at the empty driveway. Great, no parents.

I was holding my breath as I heard the footsteps coming down the stairs, suddenly stopping at the door. I imagined her looking through the peep hole and I wondered what she was thinking.

The door began to make a clicking noise, signaling that she had been unlocking it. It opened wide, her standing in the doorway, running her eyes all over me.

She wore a big shirt that looked like a dress on her, her thick hair pulled back into a tight braid that slung over her right shoulder. She looked like she crawled out of bed. But, she was still the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

"Jack?" She muttered my name in almost a whisper that she, too, couldn't believe that I was standing before her. "What are you doing here, Jack?"

I couldn't tell if she was annoyed that I was here, her expression was unreadable as well as her tone. "I...uh."

I pulled the flowers out from my back, realizing how awkwardly I had been standing. "I got these for you, Stella."

stella pov coming next 👏