thirty six

☄. *. ⋆ BECAUSE IF THE WHOLE WORLD WAS WATCHING ID STILL DANCE WITH YOU
niall horan

JACK

ONE OF my favorite things about off days was getting to explore the city. Especially when we were in a foreign country. Despite loosing our first game, I was over the moon that I had brought Stella, she always knew how to cheer me up.

Finland was a mix between warm and chilly, I shoved my hands in the pockets on my jacket, sweating slightly due to the fact I had layers on.

The sun was just beginning to set, the sky an array of colors, the second most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Stella being the first.

I glanced over at her, the colors of the sky mirroring off her face like the sun bunched of the reflection of water. She smiled slightly, lifting her phone to take a picture, she then turned to me.

"Smile." She said, a grin coming on my lips as I posed, staring up at the sky with the bridge behind me.

"Are you my personal photographer now, too?" I teased, leaning over to look at the photo.

She rolled her eyes, nudging me slightly. "I gotta keep your puck bunnies fed, right? I'm just being nice."

I groaned, shaking my head at her. The area where we were could be considered downtown if we were in America, restaurants playing music blaring through the streets where many tourists walked.

She shivered, trying to play it off as she wrapped her arms around her frame, attempting to provide herself with warmth.

I took notice of it, unzipping my USA jacket as I placed it on her shoulders despite her insisting she didn't need it. She slid her arms into it, zipping up my jacket.

A small gasp left her lips, earning a worried glance from me.

"The song." She chuckled, seeing my reaction from the corner of her eye.

I honed in on the song, playing from the restaurant behind us. Elvis Presleys Can't Help Falling in Love echoed around us, the classic tune that captured many hearts, including Stella's.

I noticed a few people around us embracing each other, dancing slowly like they were the only ones on earth.

I extended my hand out for her, a confused expression as she darted her blue eyes between my hand and my face.

"Dance with me, Stella." I grabbed her hand, pulling her to my chest. My one hand rested on her back while her hand captured my other. We rocked slowly, feet moving.

Like a river flows
Surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes

She let out a small hum, cupping my cheek with her free hand, her eyes focused on my own.

Take my hand
Take my whole life too
For I can't help

I rested my forehead on hers, closing my eyes slowly. I wondered if this is what it felt like, being in love. I had never loved someone as much as I loved Stella. Some would say I didn't know what love felt like, that I was just a teenager. But even at nearly eighteen, I knew I loved her. I didn't want to live without her.

Falling in love with you
For I can't help
Falling in love with you

Elvis's voice drained out, the song coming to end but neither of us untangled from one another.

"I didn't know you were an Elvis fan." I chuckled, peeling back to fully look at her.

She bit her bottom lip, shrugging. "I didn't know you were a dancer."

"I'm definitely not." I scoffed, dropping our hands to hold her back, pulling her even closer to me. "But for you, I will."

Stella's face softened with a look that seemed tearful. She looked down at our feet, I placed my pointer finger beneath her chin, forcing her to lock eyes with me.

"What's the matter?" I cooed, tucking her dirty blonde strands behind her ears.

"I'm just really gonna miss you." She admitted, her voice cracking slightly as she shook her head. "That's stupid, sorry."

I never wanted her to feel stupid. Nothing she ever said was stupid. She could say the alphabet out of order and I'd still think she was the smartest person in the universe.

"I'm not going anywhere, SJ." I tried to reassure her.

We both knew that I was, though.

She shook her head again, sniffling. "But you are. I've been doing my research, you know? The first and second pick. New Jersey then New York."

I hadn't realized she'd been keeping up with it. I felt this guilt begin to eat at my insides. "I won't even go. I'll drop out of the draft."

"What?" She blinked. "No, absolutely not, Jack. This is your dream. You're not gonna drop it for me."

Didn't she know I'd risk never playing hockey again if it meant I'd be with her to my dying day? Truth was, she didn't know that. And I wish I would've told her that.

"Nothing will come between us." I nodded, bringing her hand to my lips as I kissed her knuckles sweetly. "We'll work it out."

Stella nodded slowly, falling forward slightly to press her forehead against my chest. I wondered if she could feel how fast my heart was beating.

I didn't believe in soulmates or falling in love at first sight, I thought it was silly. That was until I met Stella. Now, I fully and deeply believed that the world was made so that we'd find each other. In a weird way, when we first met, it felt like I'd already known her.

Maybe we were together in our past lives, scattered atoms across different parts of the world, waiting to be brought together again.

Her name thrives inside my chest like the reason blood pumps into my heart. I think that's what it means to be in love. I know now, I never want to be without her.

i think i'm crying