nineteen

☄. *. ⋆   MY FRIENDS FROM HOME DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY
taylor swift

STELLA

I WAS utterly surprised to hear knocking on my door just ten minutes after eight. Mainly because I wasn't expecting company.

"Trevor?" I furrowed my brows as I opened the door, leaning into it as I raked my eyes up and down his appearance.

He shot me his classy goofy grin, barging in as he slid past me and into my home. Hello to you too.

I shut the door behind me, following him into the kitchen where he pulled himself up onto the counter, dipping his finger into the cookie batter. "Making cookies without me?"

"So sorry." I pouted before swatting his hand away as he went in for seconds. "You're gonna get salmonella dick."

Trevor mocked me silently, making sure to lick his finger clean of the fresh batter.

"Is there a reason you're coming over my house without telling me?" I asked, focusing on shaping the chocolate chip cookies before he had eaten half the dough.

Trevor hummed, pushing himself off the counter and onto the island stood to face me. "I didn't know I had to ask. We're best friends right, Stella?"

I raised my brows, knowing this had been deeper. "Yes we are, Trev. Now, tell me the real reason you're here, yeah?"

"Do we keep secrets from each other?" Trevor's question had thrown me for a loop.

I had known Trevor my entire life, not even being dramatic. Since we were both born into the world, he vowed to be my brother. Despite both of our mothers trying to convince us it was fate, destined for us to be together or some shit.

But it was Trevor. The boy who wiped his boogers on me because he knew I was a germaphobe and cut chunks of my hair off when we were seven. The built-in-brother I never had.

"Of course we don't." I replied with a shrug of my shoulders. "Why would you say that?""

Trevor glanced around, pulling his bottom lip into his mouth. "What happened with you and Boldy? Is that like a thing now?"

Of course. I shook my head, parting my lips. "I don't know, Trev. We kissed and we hung out last night."

"You hung out last night?" Trevor repeated before I could say anything else. He sounded offended, hurt even.

"Yeah." I placed the bowl into the sink, holding out a batter-covered spoon for the brunette in front of me. "We just went to the movies, Trev. It wasn't anything crazy."

Trevor took the spoon from me, practically ripping it from me. "Can you start filling me in on these things?"

"Yes." I nodded, seeing the genuine omit on his features. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. That's on me."

"Why didn't you come to practice today?" Trevor asked, eyeing my carefully like he was waiting for me to lie.

Truthfully, I don't know. I messaged my coach saying I had been throwing up all hours of the night. Which could be considered a half-lie, I had been overwhelmingly nauseous.

Mainly because I couldn't stop thinking about the situation I had gotten myself in. When, there should only be one correction answer to this equation, Matt. But I couldn't get my mind off him and his smile. That damn smile.

"I wasn't feeling my best." I finally answered after being quiet for a few seconds until I cracked. "I'm not a homewrecker, you know?"

Trevor cocked a brow, darting his eyes between me and the oven. "I never said you were." He paused. "Is this about Jack?"

The name made me shiver. "It is. I'm just...I'm angry at him. I really fucking liked him. We'd spent weeks together and then, all of a sudden, he's gotten himself a girlfriend."

"Not his girlfriend." Trevor corrected. "He's angry with himself, too. Look, I love you both. You're my best friends."

I blinked. Had he been talking to Jack? About us?

"What, did you hear that from him personally?" I chuckled, half serious as I urgently waited for his response.

"Yeah, I did." Trevor nodded. "He texted me today actually. He wanted to know all the juicy details about you and Boldy. Gosh, you would've died if you saw him at practice today."

Suddenly, I wished I had went to practice. If I had just swallowed my lack of self esteem and faced them both, maybe, just maybe, I'd feel better.

"Why does he care about Matt and I? And what happened at practice?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Because, Stells, he's not over you either. If you ask me, Chelsea is the other woman." Trevor shrugged with pursued lips. "He was a mess at practice, he could barely skate straight and missed half of his shots. Which is rare for thee Jack Hughes."

I could feel the stinging in my chest because I, too, was to blame for this mess.

The second Matt and I returned from our beach excursion, I could feel the blush on my cheeks and the smile lines visible as ever.

The look on Jack's face replayed over and over again in my mind like it was some sort of tape. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

He stilled, blinking like he had been imagining the entire thing. His lips parting slowly, brows drawing together in a mix of emotions. Disgust, anger, maybe even betrayal.

"I can't do anything about that." I finally answered Trevor. I grabbed the cookies out of the oven, throwing the mittens down onto the counter. "Clearly he didn't want me that bad if he went and got a...whatever she is to him."

Trevor tapped her fingertips along the counter, blowing on the cookie as it smoked, fresh out of the oven. "If you do still like him, Stella, give it time. He'll come back to you, I'm sure of it."

But how could you be so sure? I wanted to ask, to pry, to go on his phone and read every message Jack has ever written about me. But I didn't. I shrugged. "Sure."

no one understoods how bad
i want to be friends with them.
ESPECIALLY THIS ERAAAA