twenty seven

☄. *. ⋆ THIS LOVE IS DIFFICULT
BUT ITS REAL
DON'T BE AFRAID
WE'LL MAKE IT OUT OF THIS MESS
taylor swift

STELLA

MY HEART was beating at an embarrassingly fast pace as I tapped my fingers along my jeans, staring out of Trevor's back window. Georgia's hand hovering over mine had me stopping and turning to her.

"Hey, chill." Georgia muttered with a quick shake of her head. "It's all gonna be fine, okay? Just breathe."

It was times like these where I had been grateful to have someone like her in my life. She always knew what to say, she was a listener, and in my option, an angel on earth.

The Lounge was packed as Trevor pulled into the open spot specifically reserved for us. I never thought I'd see the day where we'd gotten VIP access.

Trevor led the way as we all exited his car, Georgia squeezing my hand one last time as we got green bands draped around our wrists, marking us as underage.

I hadn't known if Jack was coming or not, we haven't spoken since yesterday, and it was fucking eating me alive. I kept my head low, following the feet in front of me as we stepped up into a booth, blocked off by members of staff.

"Damn, Cole." Trevor whistled, glancing around the place. "I didn't know you were like that. VIP and security guards?"

Cole blushed, swatting his hand at the brunette. "I'm, like, the next Wayne Gretzky."

"Sure, kid." I recognized the voice anywhere. It was Jack.

Trevor slid into the booth, followed by Addison, Georgia and then myself. I sat on the end, in case of a bolt. I glanced around, careful to not look in front of me as I plotted an escape. Only if needed.

"Hi, ladies." Turcs scrunched his nose, letting his stare linger on Georgia as he didn't try and hide it.

Georgia rolled her eyes with a playful grin pulling at her plump lips.

I lifted my gaze to meet Alex's, smiling softy at him in greeting. I felt a nudge to my foot, which had my brows pulling together as I peeked under the table, following the foot until I met his stare.

Jack tilted his head slightly towards the door, which I assumed had led out to a patio. I bit my bottom lip before nodding as we both slid out of the booth, heading to the door.

He opened it, moving to the side as we walked out towards the ledge. It had been extremely cold, to the point where no one else accompanied the deck and I found myself wrapping my arms around my body, trying to provide warmth.

Jack let out a low sigh as he came to stand beside me. "Stella. I'm so sorry that I felt today. I was just...annoyed."

I shifted the weight of my feet, pulling my bottom lip into my mouth with a shrug. "It's okay."

"No." Jack said almost immediately. "None of this is okay. Stella, I don't deserve you. I mean, you fucking took me back after all that shit with Chelsea. I'm an idiot."

I furrowed my brows, turning my head to look at him. I could see the anger written on his feature, but also the battle he had been fighting within himself. For the past few months, I learned that Jack got into his head. Some would say he was emotionless.

"Where is this coming from?" I shook my head, desperately trying to catch his gaze as he evidently avoided mine.

"Stells." He cracked, his head bowing down. "I don't want to hurt you. Not again."

I could feel my heart racing the more he talked, the more his words felt like needles piercing my skin. "Then, don't."

"It's not that easy." Jack breathed shallowly. "Why did you take me back, Stella? You had it good with Matt, didn't you?"

I clasped my hands together as my head was spinning. I didn't know where any of this was coming from or what I had done to make him spiral.

"He isn't you, Jack." I faced him fully with my body. "No one compares to you. I chose you, didn't I?"

Jack blinked slowly, rubbing his face with his palms.

"I'm sorry about what happened today, I am. And I'm not sure if it was because of me or not but you'll work it out. I know you will." I felt as if I was walking on eggshells.

"Yeah, and what if we don't?" Jack bit down harshly on him bottom lip, his side profile lit from the lamp above us. "I'm the fucking captain, Stella. What kinda of leadership am I showing?"

When Jack was named captain of the NTDP program, he felt a different sense of responsibility. His image had to be perfect as well as his teammates. Jack would sacrifice anything for this team, for the people involved in it, anything to make sure it was picture perfect. And now I feared, I was getting in the way.

"You were angry, Jack." I parted my lips, shaking my head. "Stop blaming yourself."

"You just don't get it." Jack mumbled, pinching his eyes shut.

I came to stand beside him once again, taking my hand to cover the top of his. I could feel how cold his skin was, not enough as he moved it away. Somehow, leaving me colder without his touch.

"I am trying." I had my lips in a flat line, his rejection plummeting straight to my heart. "I know you feel like a shitty captain, but you are far from it. You're so dedicated to this sport, Jack. I know you are, and this team."

Jack still didn't look at me, not once.

"I'm only going to take you down with me, Stella. You deserve better. I should've let you be happy with Matt." Jack nodded to himself.

I finally tugged his arm, forcing him to face me. I placed my hands on his cheeks, instantly feeling the warmth beneath my fingers. "Look at me, Jack."

He did. He flickered his bright eyes down to meet my gaze, lingering all over my face as I held him.

"Please, stop." I nearly begged. "Please. Whatever you have going on with the team or anything, we'll get through it. I promise you. Just...please don't push me away."

Jack brought his forehead down to meet mine, his fingers coming to hold the backs of my hands, his thumb grazing my knuckles.

"Okay." Jack nodded, closing his eyes. "Okay. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to say sorry." I smiled lightly, rubbing my thumb along his cheekbone up to his temple. "There's nothing to apologize for."

Jack peeled his eyes open. "There is and I'm sorry for being shitty."

I placed a hand on the back of his neck, pulling him down slightly as I kissed him softly, pulling away to mumble against his lips. "We'll be alright, yeah?"

Jack nodded, pecking my forehead. "Yeah."

my sweeties