forty three

☄. *. ⋆ IM NEVER GONNA LET YOU CLOSE TO ME
EVEN THOUGH YOU MEAN THE MOST TO ME
sam smith

JACK

I HELPED Stella to her feet, our fingers knitted together, my thumb slid along the top of her knuckles as her body shivered at the touch.

I ducked my head down to place my forehead against hers, breathing in the musk scent of floral surrounding me as I felt the warmth from her hand pressing against my cheek.

"Kiss me, Jack." Stella exhaled, looking down at my lips with thirst. "Please. Just one more time."

I complied, ducking my head down to capture her lips with mine. It was slow, like a pained-kiss. When I pulled back, I rested my lips against her forehead.

"I should head out." She pulled away from me, out of my grasp as she wrapped her own arms around her body.

"I'll walk you." I cleared my throat, feeling the sand kick up from the back of my feet as we walked. I was described as someone who didn't show their emotions very often, and Stella, I hope you think I'm not heartless. Because I'm feeling, I'm feeling too much.

Stella turned as we reached the exit of the beach. Conveniently there was a small torch that lit up the walkway, feeling the heat against our faces as stood with it between us slightly.

Despite the fire between us, Stella, in my eyes, I will always love you. After all, there has always been a fire. Growing rapidly to the point where no water could take it down. It burned us both.

"Think of me, some time." Stella sniffled, a soft smile playing on her lips. "Will you?"

"You know I will." I cleared my throat, telling the truth. Stella consumed my mind, my body, my heart, anything that belonged to me was littered with her fingerprints.

Neither one of us dared to move, staring at one another like we were soaking all of it in.

"Good luck, Jack." Stella finally spoke. "I'll always be rooting for you. Even if it's from the sidelines now."

"Thanks, Stella." I smiled.

Stella nodded slowly, taking one last look at me as she dragged her eyes up and down my body. "I guess...I'll see you around?"

"Maybe." I shrugged. We both knew we wouldn't. Michigan only held the ghost of us.

Stella swallowed before turning her back to me, walking away at a pace that only quickened. The second she was out of sight, my wall broke.

I hunched over, pressing my hands against my thighs as I breathed. "Fuck! You're so stupid."

For days I rationed with myself, that we could get through the distance, we could find some way to work it out. But truth be told, rookie year is notorious to be rough.

I could get full of myself after a loss, and being miles and miles away from Stella, I knew I would lack comfort.

Stella is the type of girl you meet once in a lifetime, like an angel sent from above. She was there for me when no one else was, and for that, I'll always love her.

But by this time next year, I'll be a faint memory to her, she'll fall for someone else that treats her with the love I lacked to provide her with.

I glanced back at the empty spot, sand pushed around as I could make out footprints.

"I think the beach is supposed to be peaceful." Stella whined, her head resting in my lap as she peered up at me. "You've been talking for twenty minutes."

I parted my lips. "Wow, SJ. No, get off."

I moved my body, trying to shove her off my lap as she didn't budge, her laugh ringing through my ears as I finally managed to get my legs free.

"Stop!" Stella chuckled, crawling to lay flat on top of me, caging me into the sand as she rested her elbow beside my head, keeping herself upwards. "Don't get your panties in a twist, Rowdy. I was only joking."

I lifted my hand to tuck her loose strands behind her ears. "Very funny joke! It's fine, I just won't talk to you."

"Yeah, okay." She rolled her eyes, pursuing her lips.

"What?" I cocked my head to the side, raking my eyes over her features. "Do you not think I can be quiet?"

Stella slowly shook her head. "You're the loudest person I know."

I clamped my lips shut in protest, challenging her.

"Oh, I see." Stella hummed, bringing her finger to my button lip as she pulled slightly. "What? Are you playing the quiet game?"

Silence.

"Are you ignoring me?" Stella scrunched her face up.

Silence.

"Jack Rowden Hughes." Stella said sternly, making my face turn a shade of red from the use of my full name.

"Don't use my full name like that, Stella." I groaned. "You sound like my mom."

Stella nudged my lightly. "Hey, I love Ellen. We gossip together."

"Yeah, about me." I quipped, placing my hands on her hips. "Don't think I can't hear you two."

"Why do you think we talk so loud?" Stella shot me a playful wink.

It's like she was everywhere, scattered parts of her lingering here. I needed to get out of Plymouth, to be anywhere else but here.

I was afraid the more I thought about her, the more it would break me to think I have low chances of never seeing her again. To think about it, we'd live on forever.

don't hate my boy jack guys 😓
EVEN IF I WANNA KILL him