twenty three

☄. *. ⋆ NOTHING IN THE WORLD BELONGS TO ME
BUT MY LOVE, ALL MINE, ALL MINE
mitski

JACK

STELLA HAD never been this quiet before and it was starting to shake me in a way I didn't like. The beach was empty, not a single person in sight and it was dreadfully silent.

Stretches of sand surrounding us as the sunset panted the sky in an array of colors, it was beautiful. But I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Stella fiddled with the pendent around her neck, her thin sweater barely doing anything to stop the wind from gusting upon her skin. She shivered.

I worked quickly to get my hoodie over my head, placing it over her own as she immediately shoved her arms through it, peering up at me.

"Thank you." She brushed a hand over her hair. "Aren't you cold?"

"No." I shook my head. I was fucking freezing. I scooted closer to her as she brought her knees to her chest, bright blue eyes never leaving my face.

I reached for her hands, taking them in mine as they were icy. I brought her knuckles to my lips and planted a soft kiss on each one.

"How'd it go?" I asked, knowing that was what had been bothering her. She sighed lowly, closing her eyes.

"Do you think I'm a bad person?" She asked, taking me surprise.

I was quick to shake my head, taking my free hand to stretch out and hold the side of her face. "SJ, I would never think that. Did he say that shit to you?"

"No. No." She held my wrist. "He was so upset, Jack. I didn't want to hurt her or anything. He just..."

She didn't finish her sentence, instead looking down at her thighs.

I wanted to strangle Matt Boldy more than I ever had before. "SJ, It's me. You can talk to me. Please."

"He basically said that you were gonna forget about me when you get drafted." Stella finally cracked. She couldn't look at me, she refused. "What if...what if he's right?"

"What?" I was stunned. How? How could I forget her. "Stella, baby, I would never fucking forget you. You did the right thing, yeah? Is this what you wanted?"

Stella raised her eyes to look at me, glossy and soft. "It's more than I what I wanted. I want to be with you, Jack."

"Then, be with me." I hummed. I hoped she couldn't hear the whine in my voice. I was practically begging for her to be with me.

She nodded, biting down softly on her bottom lip. "What about the draft? What happens when..."

"We'll get to that when it comes." I cut her off, I didn't want to think about the draft, or hockey, or anything else that wasn't Stella Jean. "Right now all that matters to me is you."

Stella breathed, her chest rising and falling as she nodded once more. "I'm happy when you're around."

I grinned like a little kid on Christmas. "Me too, SJ, me too."

Using her palms, she brought herself to nuzzle into my side, holding my hand tightly in her own like I was going to fade away.

I kissed the top of her head, smelling the fruity scent that had now become my favorite. My heart was pounding.

"Your heart is beating really fast." Stella mumbled, turning to look up at me with a chuckle, placing her palm over it.

I placed my hand over hers, my lips in a flat line. "Call it the Stella effect I guess."

Stella glanced down at our hands and I stayed looking at her.

"You really are something, Rowdy." She rolled her lips into her mouth, fighting a smile. "I'm one lucky girl."

"You're not the only one who's lucky here, SJ." I tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ears, playing with the bottom of the light pieces softly. "You're perfect."

She leaned up to press a kiss on the side of my mouth. Cheap.

"Is that what you call a kiss?" I cocked a brow, darting my eyes down to her lips as the carved into a sly smirk. "Do better."

She made up for it by fully pressing her lips against mine, kissing me hard with lust. We both pulled away after a minute, panting and giggling like it was our first kiss.

She scrunched her nose slightly, the few freckles going across it as I swiped my finger over the slope.

"Do you want this back?" Stella looked down, holding a fistful of my sweatshirt. It had been my hockey one, my last name printed on the back, number on the side.

I shook my head with pursued lips. "It's all yours."

"Good." She tilted her head to the side, adjusting the sleeves of it. "Because I one hundred percent was not going to give it back."

I smiled. 'Cause now everyone would know she was my girl. And that's all I cared about.

crying in single.