twenty six

☄. *. ⋆ YOU JUST FEEL LIKE SHIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN
olivia rodrigo

STELLA

I WAS a part to blame for the incident between Matt and Jack today and there was no denying it. From the moment Matt went after Jack, I knew it was because of what I had done. This is my fault.

Usually after practice, I wait for Jack. Just beside the vending machine, it had become our spot. I waited for five minutes until the locker room was completely empty.

"What are you doing?" Trevor paused when he laid eyes on me, darting his gaze around with confusion.

I parted my lips, seemingly just as confused. "Oh, I'm waiting for Jack. Where is he?"

Trevor cocked a brow at me while he held the strap of his bag over his shoulder. "He left, like, ten minutes ago. Him and coach got into it. He was in a bad mood and dipped before we all did."

I pressed the back of my hand against my forehead as I mentally cursed myself. For two reasons; I wasn't able to talk to him and now I was without a ride.

"Do you need a ride?" Trevor chuckled, taking in my lost puppy appearance as I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Want me to drop you off at Jacks?"

I fiddled with my hands before rolling my bottom lip into my mouth. "No. Can you just drop me home, please?"

The drive to my house was quiet except Trevor's sudden outbursts, I had gotten used to it. It becomes a new normal for you after being friends for over ten years.

Don't be fooled, I was nearly jumping for joy as we pulled in front of my house. I thanked Trevor for the ride with a gentle pat on his shoulder.

"Hey, you coming tonight?" Trevor asked as I began to get out of his car.

I ran my tongue over with teeth with a quick shrug. "I didn't really plan on it. I feel like I'm already invading on your team."

Trevor blinked, shaking his head at me. "Stella, you're not invading. Cole did invite you, yeah?" I nodded. "If this is about what happened at practice with Matt and Jack, it runs deeper than you."

I wanted to believe Trevor, I did. But it didn't take off the heavy weight of Matt's anger towards myself and Jack.

"Okay, yeah." I just agreed with a forceful smile. "I guess I'll see you tonight?"

"Yes, ma'am. Want me to give you guys a ride?" Trevor asked.

I knew exactly why he was asking. He couldn't get enough of Addison, and she couldn't get enough of him. I knew my shotgun status would be absent tonight.

"That's so kind of you, sir. I'd appreciate it." I shot a playful wink before laughing, watching him wave as I shut his door and headed towards my front porch.

Now that I was alone, I couldn't stop thinking about the mess I had created. Even if Trevor says it didn't root for me, I had only made it worse.

Jack had made it clear to me he didn't like Matt and my jealousy was far more powerful than that. Which points to the reason I had even kissed Matt that night.

Yes, I liked Matt. But not in the way I liked Jack. It was no question that I'd always choose Jack. In every universe, in any case, I'd always choose Jack.

Matt didn't like Jack and I wasn't sure if it was because he envied him, or maybe he just thought he was a jerk. I didn't know but I believed it was a little bit of both.

Today, Jack had left. Without telling me or anything. I didn't know if I should be angry at him for leaving me dry. If it wasn't for Trevor, I probably would've been stranded or going through my lists of contacts begging for a ride.

I never fully knew what Jack was thinking. It was like most of the time he was emotionless. The only time I ever see him is when he is on the ice.

And I refused to get between that. During every practice I've watched, Jack is the most dominant and there's no doubt why he'd be the first pick. Despite him trying to act humble, he knew it, too. We all did.

As someone who spent most of my life on a team, I knew how important it was to have a backbone, especially one for your teammates.

Everyone was supposed to fit like a puzzle piece, you have your job, do it. With juniors coming up, the last thing that they needed, was teammates who hate each other. Mainly because of a figure skater who had been at each practice.

I stared down at my phone, pondering if I should text him. Truth was, I didn't know what to say. I wondered if he was going tonight or if he even remembered about giving me a ride today.

I was torn. But, tonight, I was determined to push this down and have a good time with my friends. The months were coming fast and soon, they'd all be off to college and the lucky ones would go straight to the NHL.

Time was sacred to me. With complete honesty, my time with Jack was ticking. I didn't know what was going to happen when he left, where he was gonna go, who he was going to meet. I wasn't sure.

my baby