twenty four

☄. *. ⋆  IT FEELS LIKE A PERFECT NIGHT
FOR BREAKFAST AT MIDNIGHT
taylor swift

STELLA

PLACING SECOND overall in my competition was better than not placing at all according to my coach. But, I still couldn't shake the feeling of defeat and I so badly wanted to rip off the first place medal around Courtney Bruins neck.

I smiled widely for the picture, a smile I've mastered over the past few years. The type of smile where your mom forces you to pose for a photo;absolute horror.

There was no doubt in my mind that I was disappointed in myself, my performance, everything about tonight. I shoved my medal into my bag as I began to rinse off, mumbling curses to myself.

I threw on my USA skating sweatpants that I had to roll at the waistband, accompanied by Jack's sweatshirt which I had been living in.

My bag was slung around my shoulder as I was one of the last to leave the locker rooms, caught up in myself, I hadn't realized he'd been standing there, waiting for me.

"Watch where you're going now, Stella." His voice completely blurred my daze, my feet halting. "I wouldn't want to knock your phone out of your hand again now."

I fought a real smile this time, shaking my head as I had instantly felt better. "Jack? What are you doing here? It's almost midnight, I told you that you didn't have to come. You have practice in the morning."

Jack parted his lips with a raise of his brow. "Did you seriously think I'd miss your first competition?"

I blushed, moving into his side as he threw his arm around me, pressing a soft kiss to my temple.

"You hungry?" He asked, staring down at me as we began to head towards his truck. "We can grab food and then I'll drop you home."

I glanced back at the doors before nodding. "Yeah, I would love that. I'm sure Georgia would much prefer to go knock out at home anyways. I'll tell her I don't need a ride."

We got into his car and he immediately cranked the heat, my legs coming to cross from the chilly air we'd just escaped.

Jack put the car into drive and pulled through the open spot in front of his. I didn't ask where our destination had been, frankly, I had been okay to go anywhere if it meant spending time with him.

"What places are even open right now?" I asked, seeing as we drove, all of the diners had been shut, the streets dark.

"Who said we were going out to eat?" Jack glanced at me, taking my hand from my lap to hold it in his.

I furrowed my brows, attempting to recall our short conversation just five minutes ago.

"You? You said we'd grab food. Am I going crazy?" I blinked. Maybe I had been weary or maybe I was just dreaming.

Jack chuckled, kissing the back of my hand like he always does and it still gives me butterflies. I had fallen into a deeper confusion-stump as we pulled in front of his house.

"What are we doing?" I furrowed my brows, watching him exit the car as he turned the engine off, hurrying to the passenger side to open my door.

I nodded towards him as he began to lead me to his front door, unlocking it before ushering me inside. His grip on my hand forced my through his mud room all the way to his kitchen where he flicked one light on, still keeping the room dim.

He gestured for me to sit at the stool pressing against the island;I abided. I sat and cross my hands, watching him carefully.

Jack opened the freezer, taking out a box that I couldn't see fully as he plugged in the toaster, leaving the rest to my imagination.

"Okay, now can you tell me what we're doing?" I asked, leaning forward onto the island top.

"You said you're hungry, right?" Jack rested his palms on the counter, still facing away from me as he grabbed a paper plate.

I shifted my weight on the stool, slowly nodding. "Mhm."

Jack turned back around, this time sliding a plate with warm chocolate chip pancakes on it, syrup covering the top. He smiled nervously, looking between my face and the meal he had just prepared.

"Pancakes?" I grinned from ear to ear, smelling the fresh chocolate mixed with dough and I didn't hesitate to begin eating.

"You said they were your favorite." Jack shrugged. "I knew I had some in the freezer. I just thought i'd cheer you up."

I felt my insides grow tingly, like it was all too much for me to take in. I felt the urge to cry. Jack Hughes was simply too sweet for me.

"Jack." Was all I could muster out.

"What?" He grew nervous, running his eyes all over my face. "Are they burnt or something? Oh, do you hate it?"

I laughed, shaking my head quickly at him. "No. They're perfect. This is the sweetest thing someone has done for me."

Jack came around the counter to my side, leaning down as he pecked the side of my head.

"You deserve the best treatment, SJ." He hummed, tucking my loose strands behind my ears.

"That includes pancakes at midnight?" I smiled up at him. He leaned forward, wiping the access syrup off my lip as he nodded.

"Definitely."

i'm so single