thirty four

☄. *. ⋆ YOUR HAND FITS IN MINE
LIKE ITS MADE JUST FOR ME
one direction

STELLA

AFTER OUR competition season ended, I was fully placed with the responsibility of taking care of a group of teenage boys. In foreign countries, might I add.

I had my back placed against the first class seat, perks of traveling with the team;they get their own plane.

Something that wasn't a perk, I was deathly afraid of any aircraft. Jack had chosen to sit on the aisle seat, leaving me to the middle. It was then hitting me, that I hadn't told him about my rational fear.

The pilots voice on the intercom was only making my heart pound faster as I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling the rattling of the plane beneath my feet.

"Hey." Jack cooed softly, forcing me to open my eyes, the panicked expression on my face only making him more worried. "Hey, Stells, what's the matter?"

I shook my head, my entire body tense as I didn't want to move a muscle. "I'm just, like, really fucking scared of planes."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Jack moved closer, picking up the hand rest between us.

"I don't know." I shrugged, bouncing my
leg up and down, visibly tensing more as the plane began to roll. "I would only go on the plane to visit Trevor in New York. It's stupid, and childish but my mom would hold my hand."

If I wasn't shitting my pants, I would've never admitted that to him.

Jack brought his hand down, lacing his fingers with mine, making me snap my gaze down to where we had been holding hands. He rubbed his thumb along the outside of my hand. "I'm right here, Stella."

I was in awe of everything he did, especially this. I nodded, squeezing his hand tighter as the plane began to speed. With him beside me, I forgot all about the fact I was going to be miles and miles in the air, far from land. Suddenly, I wasn't as scared.

"You okay?" He asked, peering out of the window as clouds began to circulate around us.

I hummed with a quick nod, our fingers still laced together. "That wasn't that bad. Thank you, Rowdy."

Jack shook his head with a chuckle. "You don't have to thank me. By the end of this trip, you will become the plane master."

It was so easy to believe him. If he told I could fly, I think I could. I didn't know why or what this feeling was called.

"Whatever you say." I narrowed my eyes at him, feeling his lips meet my cheek as he laid back in his seat. "So, how much longer until we're in Finland?"

"Twelve hours." I glanced down at my watch, visibly scrunching my face at the thought of being confined for that long.

Jack yawned, his tired eyes staring directly into mine. "Do you think we can nap for that long?"

"I think we've napped for longer than that." I shot back with a chuckle. "I think we could, yeah. But, I really want those pretzels they hand out so we have to wake up for those."

Jack smiled brightly at me, pursuing his lips with a short nod. "Aye, aye, captain!"

I unbuckled my seatbelt, turning my body sideways to lay my head in his lap, his hand stroking my head like a lullaby. I could already feel myself slowly drifting off.

"We will be landing in ten to fifteen minutes." The pilots voice was scratchy as it came over the intercom. Twelve hours went by like a snap, most of the time I had spent napping, arguing with Jack over what movie we'd watch;even though we both had separate screens, and feeling Trevor kick the back of my seat like a child.

"Trevor John Zegras!" I stared at him through the crack between Jack and I's seats. He bit his bottom lip, sinking into his chair like he had just got put into timeout.

"Damn, she just bitched your ass." Cole clapped, letting out a wheeze laugh at Trevor's reaction. "Stella, do it again."

I flipped Cole off. "Can you two just act like you're eighteen years old, for once?"

"Nope." Cole popped the p, shooting me a wink.

Every time I had to deal with them, I felt as if I was losing brain cells. I fully believed they should be separated, at all times.

"Home, sweet, Finland." Jack cracked his knuckles, stretching his back out as he yawned.

It was nighttime when we reached Finland, between the airport and making it to our hotel, I knew it would be midnight until I was in a bed. And I was absolutely dreading it.

Jack grabbed my bag from the overhead as we stepped out in the chilly air, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we lugged to get our suitcases.

I closed my eyes at his touch, leaning into him. "I'm ready for bed."

"Tell me about it." Jack chuckled, pressing a kiss to my temple as he moved away from me, grabbing our things as he walked them over to the many cars lined up.

A body knocked into me, making me tumble slightly before I turned my head, brows furrowed tightly with annoyance.

"Sorry." He lifted his head, the apologetic look on his face dying quickly as he looked me up and down. "Never-mind."

Matt Boldy had every reason to dislike me. I broke his heart because he was nice, and because, he wasn't Jack.

"Sorry." I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest as I stared at the ground. I felt small, the guilt was eating me alive. That's when I noticed he didn't move, he stayed, staring at me.

"I should've been paying attention." Matt cleared his throat. "I, uh, hope you have fun on the trip." He paused, glancing at Jacks backside before looking at me. "I remember you told me you were scared of planes, I hope it wasn't too bad."

I parted my lips, a frown pulling on them as I watched him walk away, the sound of his suitcase wheels echoing in my ears.

Matt was the definition of sunshine, he was bright, and he knew when to come out. It was a small fact I had told him, months ago when we first started...I'm not sure what we were, but, he still remembered. And that, made my heart twist and break.

i would've started crying on the spot tbh