{13}-Drift

**Yujin's POV**

I spent the past couple of days chilling out making new friends. Gaeul introduced me to a couple of her close friends. My mom said that this new school has had a positive effect on me; I don't get into trouble anymore and she's seen me hanging out with friends for the first time. I didn't realize it but she was actually right, I HAVE been friendlier ever since moving here. In the past, the only enjoyment I got from school was the look on the teachers' faces whenever I pranked them, but now I go to school to talk to other people. I reason this to be because Wonyoung intruded on my life and became friends with me before I could start pulling any of the antics I had planned (and I had GOOD ones planned). Then, there was Gaeul, who was class president, and who'd I consider my best friend here. I couldn't tarnish that friendship with my stupid ideas. Especially what happened the one time I was accused of vandalism and almost thrown out of here. I needed both of them to help bail me out. I couldn't pull anything stupid to let them have to go out of their way to defend me again.

I was in Calculus with Wonyoung, about to drift off the sleep. Our teacher was a bit of a bore, which somehow didn't effect Wonyoung. Nearly everyone else was falling asleep besides the nerds who actually cared about their grades so that they could get into good schools. Luckily, the teacher gave us study time to go do homework since there was still 30 minutes left of class. While Wonyoung actually did what was asked and worked on homework, I did the smarter thing and learned about the latest chapters in the love stories of my classmates. Eventually, the bell rang and everyone rushed through to get home for the weekend. I waited for the crowd to die out so that I didn't get stampeded. I saw Wonyoung packing her books into her bag when the crowd subseded.

"You wanna walk home together and grab food on the way?" I asked leaning on the side of the desk.

She brushed her hair aside, "I can't, I have to go to cheer."

I pushed her back down to her chair and begged "C'mon, I'm hungry." I even made my pouty face but she didn't even bat an eye still so I made an offer she couldn't refuse: 

"...my treat"

"No. Maybe some other time." Then she swung her backpack over her shoulder and walked out.

"Embarrassing." Mr. Baek muttered. It might be time for one of these antics I was talking about to come out...

~~~

**Wonyoung's POV**

I was a bit sad I couldn't go out to eat with Yujin, but coach is very strict about planning the new set for regionals. Cheer season was coming up very soon and she is desperate for a win since she's lost for half a decade straight. I wanted to win too, I needed to prove myself. Back when I was a freshman, the cheer captain at the time, Kim Seonwoo, told me that I didn't have the skill to become a cheerleader. So, I made it my mission to prove her wrong. First was passing cheer auditions, next was proving myself capable of being a member of her squad and doing her formations, next was becoming cheer captain, and lastly, I needed to win a tournament; something that brat was nowhere near when she graduated. Kim Seonwoo will rue the day she ruled out Jang Wonyoung! It became my priority for the year, which meant it had priority over hanging out with Yujin unfortunately. I was hoping that we could still hang out whenever I got home, as long as she wasn't asleep already. Coach kept us for an extra 3 hours after school, going over and trying out new formations. It tired all the girls out, although I didn't mind too much. Liz was completely defeated by the first hour. It was only due to the fact that Rei started to watch us while waiting for Liz, that she got the energy to move. I wish I had a "muse" like that, someone who could give me energy just by looking at them or even knowing that they were around. 

After practice, I walked home quickly. The sun was setting and I was getting hangry. If I didn't bite into something in the next 5 minutes, I'm going feral. I walked out of the school doors to see Yujin lying on a bench sleeping. Her phone was laid on her chest as if she fell asleep while watching something. Her hair was dangled to the side and both her arms were hanging off the side. I picked up a small stick and poked her shoulder with it. She started to groan and her eyes slowly widened.

"Yujin?" I poked her once again, "you there?"

"Oh Wonyoung, you're finished" she said shocked as a smile began to form.

"What are you still doing here?" I shivered, "its cold too." I crossed my arms together and began to rub around for warmth.

She sat up and rubbed her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater. Then she reached into her bag and pulled out a jacket and put it around me. 

"Alright let's go."  She said zipping up her backpack and standing up.

"What?" I uttered as I put on the jacket. It was a thick oversized brown university hoodie from SNU. It bore her strong scent of dewy dandelions. I looked ahead to see Yujin walking off already carrying strapping on my bag.

"Someone told me to always keep my promises!" she yelled back while waving me to come.

~~

We arrived at a popular noodle bar. I actually have been wanting to come here for the longest time. I saw an ad online a while back and their spicy miso ramen looked amazing. The restaurant had the aroma of a rainforest mixed with the strong scent of bamboo to give it a crisp naturey smell. The restaurant was extremely busy; the staff were running around trying to handle orders and serving tables. It looks like we weren't the only people who were intrigued by the ads. We had to wait around for 10 more minutes for a table to open up. The table we got seated at was directly in the middle, so it was hard to hold a conversation. Luckily, that wasn't necessary since when the food arrived, we both devoured it without even looking at the other person, let alone talk. Although we waited for 10, we finished the food in less time than that. Since we didn't want to end the night so soon, we walked across the street to a café: TeaTime. 

Yujin went to the restroom as soon as we entered the shop. I waited in line to get our orders ready. I secretly already memorized her order: Rose Matcha Milk Tea with extra boba. There were still a couple of people ahead of us, I was next in line but I let the elderly couple cut in front so that I could stall for Yujin to join me. I was scrolling on Instagram when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Yujin, you wa-" I started.

I got punched square in the jaw.