{16}-Competition

**Wonyoung's POV**

After that relaxing (for the most part) day yesterday, today was the day; the Cheer Regionals. I quickly got up and showered. We were supposed to be at the venue by 10 AM. It was currently 8 AM. I called Liz to get up. Then I called again. And again. After the 5th try, she finally picked up with her raspy bed voice. I ran down to make myself cereal. My parents already left and Leeseo was still dead asleep. I didn't want anything too filling; if I eat too much then I feel queasy for these big moments. I was watching videos online when I got a text from Yujin. An unsettling feeling came over me. I clicked on the notification. It read: "yo you ready yet?". 

I responded: "ye, bouta leave rn actually". I pressed "SEND" as I opened the door. I walked out to see Yujin sitting on the stairs. She wore a beige sweatshirt, ripped black jeans, and all white Nike shoes. She also wore a white cap and her glasses. I saw in the corner of her jeans that her keys held the turtle keychain that we bought yesterday. I had no choice but to try to ignore her and walked past her. I had to focus on Cheer... that's why I did that. Yujin seemed to understand and tried to take my duffel bag of supplies I carried like my uniform and basic necessities like water and protein bars. I was walking so fast that she eventually trying and gave up. 

We reached the venue by bus. The outside was completely packed. Families were everywhere and there were so many pretty participants who were stretching or practicing. I desperately needed to find my girls and start getting ready, but with all the people around, navigating was like a maze. Yujin grabbed my hand and led us to where our team was waiting. All we needed was Liz whom came a couple seconds after me. She was accompanied by Rei. Yujin and Rei had to leave since we were about to enter the Participant's Area. I gave one last glance to Yujin before entering the door. She rose her fist in the air and mouthed: "HWAITING".

**Yujin's POV**

I realistically didn't need to wake up so early and go with Wonyoung to her competition. I definitely didn't need to be tossing and turning in my bed last night worrying either. She's got this. She's Wonyoung; she can do anything. Regardless, Rei and I spent some time wandering around the place. The competition didn't start for another two hours so we were basically stranded doing nothing because of our...friends. I was getting a bit hungry though so we walked to a convenience store. I bought a bag of chips while Rei bought a bottle of soda. We sat on a hill right next to the venue and just started talking, looking out at the sun and the people running around the venue. Rei is honestly a more fascinating person than I expected. I became intrested in her backstory.

"So why did your family move here?" 

"My mom got a job offer here so we all came along. They're all back in Japan though. She got transferred back. I was supposed to go back too but they kept me here because of my football scholarship. They thought it'd be best for me to go to school here instead of in Japan." She seemed dispirited and sad talking about her family. She must not have seen them in a while.

"I-I'm sorry Rei, that must suck." 

"It's really okay, I still videocall them often and sometimes we travel to each other!" Her smile came back. "I have a lot of great things going in Korea like you guys...and Liz..." Her smile was especially big when mentioning her girlfriend.

"So how did you actually meet Wonyoung and Liz?" 

"I was actually bullied when I first moved here because I couldn't speak nor understand Korean. It took a while for me to pick up on the basics, but the kids in my class were ruthless. One day, there were these group of kids who kept hitting me during PE. I think we were playing dodgeball but they kept mocking me and targeting me even when I was out of the game." I saw a small tear form in her eye.