33

Hitoshi was nervous. Who wouldn't be nervous when going up a sentient quirk who you have no idea if you can use your own quirk on them or not.

Well, like Izuku says: Fuck shit up until you find the solution.

But in this case, Hitoshi can't "fuck shit up" and there wasn't really a "solution" because he's fighting not inventing. Kami, why'd he have to make friends with chaotic support course students? He could have just coasted through the hero course without friends and then become an Underground Hero, but no he just had to get kidnapped on his first day. Great.

Focus Hitoshi. No need to get distracted and lose first thing.

"The mysterious Shinsou Hitoshi from class 1-A who has yet to show his quirk!" Yamada-sensei spoke. Hitoshi's glad the man didn't announce his quirk, though he has a feeling if Yamada-sensei had to, Izuku or Mei would probably hack into the speakers like Mei already did and interrupt it.

"And the Dark Samurai Tokoyami Fumikage, also from class 1-A. His quirk is Dark Shadow."

Hitoshi sighed, listening to Midnight-sensei talk about the rules. He just wanted to get this over with. He wants to take a nap.

Right as Midnight-sensei called go, the shadow flew out from behind Tokoyami, heading straight for Hitoshi. And Hitoshi? Well he started the game of cat and mouse. It wasn't a fun game in the slightest. It made him tired and sweaty, but he's in the Hero Course so it's to be expected.

He tries thinking of strategies; tries thinking of ways to see if Dark Shadow can be affected by his quirk, but he doesn't have the time to test it and fail.

You'll never know if you don't try. Jump headfirst and find the answer . Izuku's voice rings in his head. Hitoshi wonders why the Izuku in his mind is always so poetic and shit when the physical Izuku is just a teenager on crack and caffeine.

Fuck it . Hitoshi thinks, wondering what kind of question he could ask to get a response.

He dodges the sentient quirk a few more times before he finally comes up with something.

"Are you just going to make your quirk do all the work?" Hitoshi asks, dodging another jab.

"Of course noー"

"He's not making me do anythiー" And Hitoshi grabs onto the strings. Or well, string. It's weird in a way he doesn't think words can describe.

It's thicker than the other strings he envisions when he uses his quirk, but it's not too thick that he can't grab hold and keep it in his grasp. Both quirk and teen stop, almost like they're frozen in time.

"Walk out of bounds." Hitoshi instructs, watching as Tokoyami turns around and starts walking, Dark Shadow following behind. Right as Tokyoyami is about to step out, however, the thick string in Hitoshi's mental hold becomes thin like one of them snapped out of it and he sees the raven headed boy turn towards him, Dark Shadow still flying out of bounds. Tokoyami, unrestricted by Dark Shadow's movements, began walking towards him.