41

Shouta gets a call too early in the morning for his liking. So anyone can see how he's not too happy when he answers the phone.

"What?" He grumbles, voice rough with sleep.

" Ah, good morning Eraserhead. Apologies, but I did wait till after ten to call so I had assumed you would be awake already ." Detective Tsukauchi's voice sounds through the receiver.

"What time is it?" Shouta asks to the air, although he receives a response back from the man on the other side of the line.

" It is currently ten fourty-seven ."

Shouta groans in response. It was still too early but he had accidentally slept in. He really hopes Izuku isn't already awake. He reaches over to where Hizashi usually is in the morning and finds the spot cold and empty.

"Well get on with it then." Shouta says, sighing as he drags his empty hand down his face, pulling at his cheeks and sits up in his bed. Tree seems to have made a home on his lap, purring. Shouta hates having to do it, but he carefully picks up Tree, this cat letting out a disgruntled murp, and setting him on his pillow before standing up and stretching. His back lets out a few satisfying pops and he groans in satisfaction.

The detective chuckles from over the receiver and Shouta huffs.

" Right, apologies. It was decided, as of earlier this morning, that Inko Midoriya's trial would be pushed up in date. They still have not decided whether or not they're going to have Izuku-kun testify. "

Shouta sighs. It's a bone-deep sound filled with exhaustion and exasperation. He just wishes they could just send the woman to jail for life without all of this hassle but without a proper trial and proof, the woman just might walk free for what she's done to his kid.

"Can't they just make up their minds already?" Shouta asks to no one in particular.

" My thoughts exactly, Eraserhead. " Tsukauchi responds anyway, knowing the question was more rhetorical than anything.

"Do we know the official date?"

" Ah, yes, it would be in three weeks in comparison to the three months it was going to be ."

"During exam season, perfect." Shouta drawls.

" I do apologize, Shouta, " And oh, the detective only ever calls Shouta by his name when it's serious, " but they are going to need you there as well since you are the new partial guardian of Izuku-kun. "

Shouta nodded before remembering the detective couldn't see it. "Right, okay. Thanks. Is that all?"

" Yes. I'll call you back if there's any progress ."

"Thank you." Shouta said, hanging up. Shouta glares at his phone even though it has done nothing truly wrong, but he can't help it. He thinks of all the things he's heard Inko Midoriya put Izuku through, whether it was passively or not.

A knock at the door drew Shouta's attention away from his phone. Standing there, clad in an atrocious yellow Put Your Hands Up hoodie and clashing pink pants is Hizashi. His hair is parted into two separate, messy , braids. Though, honestly, the look fits the man.

( And maybe just a little bit attractive, but Shouta's not going to mention that .)

"Did you forget how to do hair this morning?" Shouta asks, once he realizes that he must be staring.

"Nope! The Little Listener did it for me! Isn't he just the sweetest?" Hizashi cooed. So Izuku was already awake. Damn.

"Where is he?" Shouta asks, not even trying to answer Hizashi's ( rhetorical ) question because he knows Izuku's not the sweet angel he likes to play the role of when Hizashi is around.