Berry Sweet

"Daddy!!"
The sound was music to my ears. This was my favorite part of everyday, picking up my three year old daughter Phoebe from daycare. Every time I walked through that door I got a hero's welcome. She would stop whatever it was that she was doing and run as fast as her tiny legs would carry her, dark curly hair trailing behind her,to jump in my arms and hug me. After working a long day at the shop it was just what I needed.
It had been just Bea and I since day one, since the day that she was born when the powers that be decided to rip the one woman I ever loved away from me. My girlfriend, my life, my world , gone in the blink of an eye, passing due to complications from childbirth. One minute we were rushing to the hospital, both nervous and excited to finally meet our little girl and the next she was gone and I was alone, with a baby I now had to raise myself. I was both devastated and grateful, devastated at the loss of the love of my life, but grateful that I still had a part of her, that I would love and cherish forever.
I had read all the books, prepped myself for sleepless nights, but nothing can fully prepare for parenthood, especially when you're learning to become a dad while still grieving over your loss,but above anything, Phoebe was the reason to carry on. I had to take care of that precious little girl and give her the best life that I could. I loved her so much, she was my everything.
It took a lot of help, my Uncle, my friends and my girlfriend's parents were amazing, watching Bea while I was working, trying to keep the roof of our shitty little apartment over our heads, keep us fed and buy formula and diapers for the baby. We made it work and slowly over time we got into a routine, things got easier, I got more confident in my Dad skills and life pressed on. But one thing never changed, everyday the love I had for my little girl grew more and more. We were growing up together.
She was a good baby, a happy baby, full of giggles and smiles. Every time I would look at her my heart would swell, and I would beam with pride. I helped create this amazing little being.
Even know, as I held her in my arms I was amazed. I'd done something good.Eddie "The Freak" Munson, had created this smart, tiny , incredible human. A sweet little girl whose smile melted my heart, whose giggled turned my insides to mush and whose tears broke my heart. Out of all the things I had fucked up and failed at in the past, the one thing I was good at was being a dad.
My daughter buried her head in my neck." I yub you daddy."
" I love you too my sweet girl. I missed you. Did my busy Bea have a good day?"
"Uh huh. I played wib my friends!"
" That's awesome!" I squeezed her tight then went to her cubby to pick up her pink unicorn backpack and lunch box. Her daycare provider checked in with me letting me know that of course, my little darling was a complete angel today, and then we said goodbye and headed out to my van.
Gone were the days of having a van to carry all my band equipment and shit around, these days I was sporting a minivan. It just fucking made sense. Kids came with a lot of baggage, literally, and you had to lug that shit around. It was either station wagon which was a hard no or the minivan. I chose the latter of the two.
" So my sweet," I smiled as I buckled her securely into her car seat, " What would you like for dinner tonight?"
" Pancakes!"
"Ahh breakfast for dinner, excellent choice m'lady!"
She smiled." Booberry pancakes Daddy!"
Shit. I knew for sure that I didn't have any blueberries at home." We will have to run to the store first babydoll if you want blueberries."
" Uh-huh, my favewet!"
" I know they are your favorite, well let's go get some then!"
"Yay!"
" And some whipped cream so we can draw on faces!"
"Yay! And 'nanas?"
" Yeah we will get some bananas too."
"Yeah!"
" Well let's get going my little monster!" I watched as she stuck two fingers up behind her head and stuck out her tongue. I laughed and did the same. We both made monster noises. It was our thing, we were the Munson Monsters. I tickled her tummy and she giggled then I closed the door and we were on our way.
*******************************************"Let's stop and get a shopping cart?"
" No daddy, I walk."
" Are you sure? You don't want me to push you Princess?"
" No Daddy, I walk!" She looked up at me with her big brown eyes and smiled. My smart , strong willed, independent little girl. I grabbed a basket and took her hand.
" Ok, let's go get your blueberries-"
" And 'nanas!"
" You got it Ms. Bea!" I walked slowly towards the produce department, knowing that her little legs could only go so fast. I picked a perfect bunch of bananas then we made out way over to the berries.
" I pick em?"
" Yeah you can pick them. Want me to lift you up so you can see better?"
"Yes pweese."
Adorable and good manners. I smiled , setting down the basket and picking her up. I watched her face as she looked over the containers, contemplating which one to pick.
" I know, it's a hard decision isn't it?" A woman's voice said from beside us.
We both turned our attention to her and when our eyes met my breath caught in my throat. She was beautiful.
" Are blueberries your favorite?" She asked Bea, smiling. Her smile was warm and sweet.
" I lub booberries!"
" Me too, they are my favorite. " We watched as she picked a container looked it over and put it in her basket.
Phoebe did the same, small hands grabbing a container, then she looked it over like the woman had and held onto it.
" Do you wanna put them in the basket sweet girl?" I asked.
" No, I hold Daddy."
"Ok then."
" She is adorable." The woman grinned." She looks just like you."
" Are you saying I'm adorable too?" I joked. Real fucking smooth Munson, real fucking smooth. It's obvious that I have been out of the game for a while now. I'm so fucking lame.
She laughed," Maybe. I don't typically make a habit of telling men at the grocery store how attractive they are, there are a lot of creepers out there, but you give off a zero creepy vibe. And you are so sweet with your daughter."
I beamed." Shes my world."
As if on cue my daughter kissed my cheek. Perfect timing.
The woman sighed then turned to Phoebe."What are you making with your blueberries? I'm making muffins."
" Pancakes with smiles! Daddy, we make muffins too?" Her little eyebrows went up.
" I can try little darlin, but I make no guarantees as to how good they will be."
"Daddy make them good." She said nodding her head with a confidence in me that I wish I had in myself. I was shit in the kitchen, made enough homemade dishes to get by but definitely wasn't above dino nuggets and tater tots, some frozen veggies and fresh fruit to try to round things out.
" I bet they will be yummy." The woman said and I watched as my daughter smiled at her, she could be shy sometimes but really seemed to like her." Well I will let you get back to shopping, you have to get home and make some pancakes! " She smiled and gave us a little wave.
I noticed at that time that she didn't have a ring on her finger." It uh, was nice chatting with you, see you around." I smiled and thought about asking her her name, and maybe her number. We hit it off right? Bea liked her. But I chickened out.
" Nice chatting with you too. Good luck with the muffins."
" Thanks." I watched as she walked away. She had a nice ass too. Jesus, it has been so long....
" Daddy, I get down!"
I snapped out of my daze and put my girl down, taking her hand and grabbing my basket." Let's get the whipped cream and get out of here Doll!"
We made our way through the store picking up a few more things along the way, apple juice, eggs and baking supplies, like I even had a clue what muffins were made from, then we trudged to the registers. That is when disaster struck.
Phoebe stepped on her loose shoelace, shit, I knew I should have double knotted those fuckers, and fell ,dropping the blueberries she was so proud of picking out. I was able to catch her before she hit the ground but unfortunately the berries were not so lucky. The container hit the ground and popped open, sending blueberries scattering everywhere.
Bea looked up at me upset, tears pooling in her big chocolate eyes, bottom lip starting to quiver. It killed me to see her cry.
" Don't cry babygirl, it's not a big deal." I scooped her up and watched a teardrop roll down her chubby cheek, I gave her a big hug." It's ok-"
" But Daddy, the pancakes!"
I brushed the drops from her cheeks," I promise it's going to be alright," I knelt down with Bea in my arms and tried to pick up some of the mess... goddamn, that was a lot of berries...
I saw another hand reach out grabbing a handful of the soiled fruit and I looked up. It was her, the pretty woman from earlier.
" Thank you, so much." I gave her a thankful smile.
" You are so welcome." She flashed me an amazing smile.
Bea sniffed back tears." I broke em Daddy."
I kissed her on the top of her head." Honey, it was an accident-"
" I can take care of this." A store employee said joining in the pickup.
" I'm real sorry." I apologized.
" No worries." The teenage boy took over cleanup and we carefully stepped out of the way.
The woman walked up to Bea." Those blueberries just went on a little adventure, that's all."
My little girl wiped her cheek with the back of her hand, the corner of her mouth quirked up."An adventure?"
" I bet they have seen more of this store than any other blueberries have." She smiled and reached into her basket, pulling out her plastic container." Why don't you take these? They aren't as nice as the one you picked out but-"
"Oh we couldn't take your berries-" I spoke up. "Your muffins."
She laughed. " I insist. It is much easier for me to go grab another one than it is for you. You have your hands full Dad." She placed them in my basket.
Bea gasped." Thank you!"
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely! You can repay me by making some muffins for your little girl-"
" Phoebe. Bea for short."
" Phoebe! What a pretty name for a pretty little girl!"
Bea grinned at the compliment." I Bea, he's Daddy."
" Does Daddy have a name?"
" Eddie, I'm Eddie. And your name?"
"Y/N. It is nice to officially meet you guys."
God was she pretty." Thank you again for your help, and the berries."
" It was my pleasure. Maybe I will see you around?"
She was so sweet, I wanted to repay her." I uh, don't typically make it a habit, asking beautiful women out to coffee at the grocery store, but I would like to repay you for your kindness, I mean I totally understand if you say no, I mean we have only just met, I know it's kind of forward -"
She laughed." I would love to have a coffee with you sometime Eddie."
Holy fucking shit!"Really?" I said incredulously.
" Yes really." She reached into her purse and pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down her number. It had been so long since I got a number...." Call me and we will find a time that works. I'm sure your a busy man, I'm flexible. You could even bring Miss Bea along if you liked."
My eyes widened." You wouldn't mind?"
" Not at all. We could meet at the cafe around the corner from here. They have yummy donuts-"
"Donuts Daddy!"
I smirked" You said the magic word, she loves donuts."
" Same girl, same. Seriously though, call me." She smiled.
" I will." I put the paper in my pocket." Thank you again."
"Your welcome, again. It was so nice to meet you Eddie. I hope you guys have a wonderful night, enjoy your pancakes!"
"Goodnight!" Bea waved, grinning, little dimples in her cheeks.
" Bye!"
We both watched as she walked back towards the produce department. My heart raced. I was going on a coffee date with a gorgeous women. Holy shit. After all these years.
We finally made it through the check out, out to the car and home, the whole time I was reeling over the whole incident. Maybe it was fate?
I made the blueberry pancakes with faces as promised then we ran around outside in the yard, burning off some of the sugar we ate until it was time for bath and bedtime.
We both slept like babies that night. The next day I gathered up all my courage and I called Y/N and set up a date. A week later while on our coffee date, we set up a dinner date, then a movie date, then eventually a romantic weekend away date and then a year later a wedding date. I proposed by writing out out "Will you marry me? " In whipped cream on blueberry pancakes. It seemed fitting, considering that was what has ultimately brought us together. Whenever anyone would ask her how I proposed she would smile and tell them that I did it " Berry sweetly."